ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good Character Immigration History

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sid99
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Good Character Immigration History

Post by sid99 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:51 am

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could answer this please.
Came UK March 2007 student visa 2 years
2009 --- Got extension for 1 year
2010 --- Got married to British Citizen and apply FLR M before the extension expired.
Got Spouse BRP until Feb 2012
Separated from Wife mid 2011 due to family issues, no contact at all. I moved from the address she moved to different city.
Get in touch with few solicitors, took one of them advice and he went on applied FLR O application before BRP expired sorry I dont even remember under which category.
After BRP expired in-laws phoned UK Border.
They turned up at my work (Tesco) one day secretly through back door. I been called to manager office seen them sitting there.
Just to mention here I have started work with Tesco in 2009.
They asked me some questions--- I dont remember
Basically they came to take me away had a van with tinted windows outside parked.
I told them I have got application under process, all I remember they were shocked they wanted to speak to my solicitor, I phoned him and they spoke and want him to email the acknowledgement letter straight away, which my solicitor did and they go away saying " you should check with court you have been divorced " which I didn't know because moved address.
Met EU Partner 08/2012
Got married 02/2013 and applied for EEA Residence, withdrew my FLR O application.
EEA residence application refused due to employer negligence.
Spoke to solicitor he said you have good grounds for appeal, should have not listen to him and should have applied again with new evidence, anyhow appeal lost judge said apply again. So applied again
Got EEA residence card sticker 01/2015
Got EU settled Status 12/2019
My question is do I meet good Character requirements for naturalisation after 12/2020? Or do I have to wait more years.

Sorry I become very long read, had to mention everything to get right view.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Good Character Immigration History

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:04 am

EEA residence application refused due to employer negligence.
If you are married to an EEA national, you don't need employment to get an EEA card. Employer cannot affect your EEA rights.

When you fail an EEA application, most often than not it's easier and cheaper to just fill a new one, fix whatever was wrong and apply again. Many solicitors recommend appeals and/or judicial routes because it makes more money for them. But you lose years and a lot of money in process.

To apply for citizenship, you have to look back in the last years. We are in 2020, you have to look back up to 2010. If from 2010 you had times when you were illegal in the UK, your application has a high risk of failure. Often they come back and tell you they refused and it's not recommended you apply before X date.

To avoid losing money and also being disappointed, check back in your immigration history and answer the question: since when you are you fully legal? Add 10 years to that and it will tell you when to apply.

If the money is not an issue, you may just chance it and try to apply and see. Being legal for 10 years before the application is not an eligibility criteria but in the recent years, it became a de facto one.

sid99
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sid99 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks for the reply,
Does Subject Access Report provide any help if I try to get hold of it before naturalisation application.

Thanks

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:58 am

sid99 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 am
Thanks for the reply,
Does Subject Access Report provide any help if I try to get hold of it before naturalisation application.

Thanks
You should seek legal advise from an intelligent lawyer first,nationality application has become complex since the introduction of a refusal tool so called good character test.