ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How is your Experience Travelling to the UK with EU Settlement RC

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

How is your Experience Travelling to the UK with EU Settlement RC

Post by askmeplz82 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:38 pm

GUYS... How is your Experience Travelling to the UK with EU Settlement RC from Holiday. Do you find any difference travelling with UKRC vs EUSS RC. with UKRC immigration officer used to ask loads of questions to make sure you are genuine eu family member and to see if your spouse still exercising treaty right in the UK but how about with EUSS RC ?
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

kamoe
European Union

Re: How is your Experience Travelling to the UK with EU Settlement RC

Post by kamoe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:51 am

askmeplz82 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:38 pm
Do you find any difference travelling with UKRC vs EU Settlement Scheme RC
In the interest of clarity, and to avoid misunderstandings for anyone reading, what you are calling "UKRC" should be referred to as "EEA RC".
UKRC immigration officer (...)
What you mean here is "UK immigration officer".
(...) used to ask loads of questions to make sure you are genuine eu family member and to see if your spouse still exercising treaty right in the UK
You are making a generalization here that does not apply to everyone. In my experience, traveling with the EEA RC I was never asked more than one question regarding my sponsor: "Where is your sponsor?" if at all I traveled alone. A satisfactory answer was simply the city we live in, and that would be all. If I traveled with my sponsor, the question would be "Is this your sponsor?". Nothing else regarding how and if he exercised treaty rights. Nothing.
but how about with EU Settlement Scheme RC ?
I would imagine exactly the same no-fuss one-question experience will apply for most EUSS RC holders, but I'll let people with experience with those answer this.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:19 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:51 am
askmeplz82 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:38 pm
Do you find any difference travelling with UKRC vs EU Settlement Scheme RC
In the interest of clarity, and to avoid misunderstandings for anyone reading, what you are calling "UKRC" should be referred to as "EEA RC".
Unfortunately, "EEA RC" could easily be taken to mean a non-British Article 10 residence card. To dispel confusion, one probably needs to say "UK EEA RC". :(

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Exactly that's why i mentioned UKRC .. EEA RC can be article 10 issued in another country like Germany / and you can still travel with that to the UK but UKRC here i mean article 10 RC issued by the UK under eea law

but yes you are right i should have mentioned UK EEA RC

AnaLove85
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by AnaLove85 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 pm

• i’m very interested on this post. My husband is working and travelling in Thailand and will be back only in August, his UK based company sent him there so he’s still exercising his rights, receiving his monthly wages and paying taxes. I’m still waiting for my pre settle status but already have plans of going on holidays in May and June. If they ask me where my husband is, would it be suspicious if I say he’s in Thailand? Considering I’ll be travelling more than once whilst he’s abroad would the IO find weird my husband hasn’t been back yet?
    PS: I don’t need a Schengen visa so I’m free to travel around Europe.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:03 am

In August 2019 I was travelling back to London from abroad...
At that time I had BRC as family member of EEA 5 years residence but in same time I had sattle status granted in February 2019 , the officer asked me where is my eu family I said we are sepr and divorcing soon she asked what I'm going to do after the divorce! I said what do you mean! She asked me again if I will divorce how I'm gonna live in uk illegal!!!
I said what!!
" on your computer it doesn't tell you that I have sattle status? "
She looked at her computer like she didn't see that before or pretending she hasn't seen it
She said ah well yeah but why you have BRC 5 years and not sattlment scheme card!
I said because the home office said it still valid and still can use it if its not expired
She said fair enough and she let me through
It was so weird conversation and it seemed to me they didn't know alot about many things in sattlment scheme!

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 am

Fbiboy2002 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:03 am
In August 2019 I was travelling back to London from abroad...
At that time I had BRC as family member of EEA 5 years residence but in same time I had sattle status granted in February 2019 , the officer asked me where is my eu family I said we are sepr and divorcing soon she asked what I'm going to do after the divorce! I said what do you mean! She asked me again if I will divorce how I'm gonna live in uk illegal!!!
I said what!!
" on your computer it doesn't tell you that I have sattle status? "
She looked at her computer like she didn't see that before or pretending she hasn't seen it
She said ah well yeah but why you have BRC 5 years and not sattlment scheme card!
I said because the home office said it still valid and still can use it if its not expired
She said fair enough and she let me through
It was so weird conversation and it seemed to me they didn't know alot about many things in sattlment scheme!

It's because Home Office system is not updated yet for people who is still holding UKRC article 10 residence card ( whether you have status under EU settlement or not they can't verify it in their system )

If you have status under EU settlement + RC issued under EU settlement they can verify it on their system with the RC number printed on the top right

hanihani
Chile

Post by hanihani » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am

Kamoe

Actually generalizing is the right wording here
Vast majority of us have been under questioning the 're entering the UK
Yes it depends on the immigration officer and what kind of questions but trust me it could he really intense and they do occasionally ask for you partners number. If you were lucky not to have issue don't assume majority don't because we do.

On the other hand I landed in Sep and was asked , where's your EU partner from? And why she isn't with you now? I answered both questions then asked the officer, doesn't it say on your system now that i have a SS she said yes
Welcome home..

I depends on the officer I guess
Some voted for brexist anyway so you might have more hardships at times

AnaLove85
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by AnaLove85 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:00 pm

It’s infuriating when they ask why your partner is not with you. It’s not the 17th century anymore, I’m untitled to travel by myself. I’m scared of going abroad by myself now :/

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 pm

hanihani wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am
Vast majority of us have been under questioning the 're entering the UK
This is actually very interesting. I don't think anyone here can claim to represent the majority, you me, or the OP. Not sure there is a substantial backup from statistics on this forum unless we create a poll and see results in some months time. Rember that people tend to complain when things don't go as expected, and stay silent when everything works. The fact that you might have seen (or remember to have seen) more posts of people saying they have been questioned on arrival does not mean there are more people questioned than not questioned.
Yes it depends on the immigration officer and what kind of questions but trust me it could he really intense and they do occasionally ask for you partners number.
I'm going to say it might just be the airport? My usual airport is Heathrow and it's always bliss. Several dozens of times with no problem. On the other hand, I've flown twice to Birmingham, and each time the interaction was very aggressive and accusatory (both times flying with Sponsor, so I did not get questioned about him, but rather 'why do you not have your police certificate with you?', a question that is never asked at Heathrow).
If you were lucky not to have issue don't assume majority don't because we do.
Likewise, don't assume most people have issues just because you do. Again, I've flown multiple times over 10 years and most of the time (Birmingham excepted) has been a non-issue. I don't think that is just luck.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.