ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer in UK but need to join my Dutch partner in Ireland.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Amaka2020
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Overstayer in UK but need to join my Dutch partner in Ireland.

Post by Amaka2020 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm an overstayer in UK for the past 16years.
I met my partner who is a Dutch Citizen that lives in Ireland 3 months ago and he wants me to join him in Ireland.
We are planning to get married once I get to Ireland but I'm not sure if I can apply to join him directly without any leave to remain.

We haven't co-habitated for the 2 years required to apply as a partner and we can't register our marriage because of my immigration status.

I know marriage is the best bet and someone has mentioned that we do customary/proxy marriage and have it registered and it will be recognised but I don't know how that works.

Any advice please?

Please I need advice on what to do and welcome all

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Overstayer in UK but need to join my Dutch partner in Ireland.

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 am

Hello
customary/proxy marriage
and Islamic marriages/Fatiha/Nikah... etc. Won't work. They are not recognised for any civil purpose. It's merely an informal thing some people do.

Before talking immigration, let me start with a word of caution: you've been in the UK illegally for 16 years, you just met with someone 3 months ago and you ready to follow him abroad. I am wondering if you are not acting out of desperation. I am telling you that, because you are 4 years short from being able to apply for a residence card in the UK (20 years). If you leave the UK now, that counter is reset. So make sure you are doing to the right thing before you move.

Do you have a valid passport? If you have been illegal for 16 years, either you don't have a passport or your passport has expired a while ago. Would you be able to renew it?

Amaka2020
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Amaka2020 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Thanks @ Zerubbabel

I know I'm 4 years short of a leave and I'm not doing this out of desperation.
The past 16 years I've been too chilled out and now I've met someone that I click well with so it's got me looking at my options.

My partner and I understand that 4 years is my best bet of being able to get a form of leave or hopefully some kind of amnesty will be called because of bexit which I doubt but he's more hopeful than I am on it.

No, I do not have a valid passport because it's expired and being held hostage lol

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

You need a passport to move to Ireland and apply for a permit to live there.

The UK and Ireland share immigration data, so the Irish authorities will know all about your UK situation.

A 3 month unmarried partner relationship to get a visa/residence for Ireland is most definitely going going to be heavily scrutinised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amaka2020
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Amaka2020 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks @CR001

I understand.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm

No, I do not have a valid passport because it's expired and being held hostage lol
In your current situation, without passport, your options are limited.

You need first to see with your authorities how to obtain a valid passport. Some countries consulates may help with short term passports.

Granista
BANNED
American Samoa

Post by Granista » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:23 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

A 3 month unmarried partner relationship to get a visa/residence for Ireland is most definitely going going to be heavily scrutinised.

Heavily scrutinised? It's not going to happen. There are no categories OP can apply under. But without a passport OP can't even apply for any visa anyway, so none of it matters.

And I wouldn't count on the UK rules staying the same, OP is likely to be deported if and when caught, no matter how long she's slipped the net so far.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:49 pm

When I met with my wife, she had zero paper. It was more than 10 years ago.

She has a permanent residence now. But it was a hard work.