ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Nikah

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cheetycat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Question about Nikah

Post by cheetycat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:54 am

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place. I'm just looking for some help.

I'm an English woman (non Muslim), born in the UK, in a relationship with a (Muslim) Algerian man. I will be travelling to his country very soon and we would like to do a traditional Nikah ceremony.

Does anyone know if this is possible, as I will be there as a visitor, and won't be staying after my visa expiration.

And if this is possible what documents would I need to take in order to have this carried out?

Many Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Question about Nikah

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 am

Hello

You can't use the expression "Nikah ceremony" in Algeria. That's in Pakistan. In Algeria, the word "Nikah" is not socially acceptable and many people may find it offensive.

The correct word in Algeria is "Fatiha" or "Fat'ha".

Some imams there may use the word "Nikah" to refer to marriage but only when quoting some hadiths or Koranic verses.

For starters, it's illegal in Algeria to perform a religious marriage alone without the civil marriage first. Reason: many women were abused by that. Algerian law has numerous protections for women but they are afforded only if the couple is properly married. In case of religious marriage only, the man can at any moment decide to get rid of the women, sometimes with the children, and she is in the street at the moment's notice.

In Algeria, these days, no one goes for a religious marriage only. It was the norm in some remote areas of the country some decades ago, but not today.

As it's illegal to perform religious marriages, most imams refuse to do it. Some independent imams might do it. However, they won't issue any paper (it can land them in jail!!!). No paper will be request from you neither. You are merely entering into a private/informal agreement so don't expect to see any paper.

For your information: such Fatiha won't be accepted for immigration purposes by the UK nor by the Algerian authorities.

If you tell them at the border you are coming for that, especially if you use the word nikah, they may put you back in next flight home.

If you need to know more, just ask.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 pm

cheetycat wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:54 am
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place. I'm just looking for some help.

I'm an English woman (non Muslim), born in the UK, in a relationship with a (Muslim) Algerian man. I will be travelling to his country very soon and we would like to do a traditional Nikah ceremony.

Does anyone know if this is possible, as I will be there as a visitor, and won't be staying after my visa expiration.

And if this is possible what documents would I need to take in order to have this carried out?

Many Thanks
There is nothing to be fear of .If anybody asks you at airport you can tell them you are here to see your future husband.Meaning of Nikkah is simply marriage.Some foolish naive just twist the meanings to create misunderstanding .It is unlikely you will have any questions being asked or problems.Once you have made Nikkah or relevant word used in Algerian culture which is traditional or Islamic marriage then you can apply for his spouse visa on the basis of it by supplying photos,wedding videos,what's up chats with each other &so on as the UK immigration will drag you both into a lengthy period of waiting for his spouse visa depending on mainly your circumstances .If you are not working and earning more than 18600 a year HO will refuse visa &if you fulfill all requirements he will get a visa .Good luck.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 pm

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Follow the link provided by Casa and what I told you.

If you go for fatiha in Algeria, you won't get any paper and it won't be recognised for immigration purposes neither in Algeria or in the UK.