ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Births Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Foreign Births Registration

Post by Jordann26 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi everyone -- My grandmother was born/lived in Ireland and myself and my siblings have just mailed our applications and docs to Dublin for citizenship (should arrive today). Leading up to to this moment has been an extremely difficult process. My Irish grandmother gave birth to my dad in NYC and placed him for adoption (she was unwed and you know the times). We found her via DNA testing 2 and a half years ago and discovered my dad is a citizen from birth and that we're eligible for citizenship. We had to petition the court in NY to get my dad's pre-adoption birth cert linking him to his Irish mother because they were sealed here- which took a very long time and a lot of money but we won and got it.

I have a few questions if there is anyone who can help:
1) Has anyone gone through the FBR process before who had a similar situation re. adoption? Wondering if there was any difference or a longer wait time because of it. Luckily we were able to get a certified copy of my grandmother's Irish passport, as well as her other required docs but curious to know if there is anything I should be aware of as they are reviewing (flagging I already spoke to FBR last year and they said we're eligible regardless of my dad being given up for adoption).

2) The current estimate says 9 to 12 months, wanted to see if that sounds right to folks who have gained their citizenship post-Brexit (e.g. is it even longer or shorter)?

3) Because of this long documentation process I went through, I am terrified our apps will get lost in the shuffle somewhere. Do they proactively send a confirmation email that the apps were received?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Births Registration

Post by jgclancy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Jordann26 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Hi everyone -- My grandmother was born/lived in Ireland and myself and my siblings have just mailed our applications and docs to Dublin for citizenship (should arrive today). Leading up to to this moment has been an extremely difficult process. My Irish grandmother gave birth to my dad in NYC and placed him for adoption (she was unwed and you know the times). We found her via DNA testing 2 and a half years ago and discovered my dad is a citizen from birth and that we're eligible for citizenship. We had to petition the court in NY to get my dad's pre-adoption birth cert linking him to his Irish mother because they were sealed here- which took a very long time and a lot of money but we won and got it.

1) Has anyone gone through the FBR process before who had a similar situation re. adoption? Wondering if there was any difference or a longer wait time because of it. Luckily we were able to get a certified copy of my grandmother's Irish passport, as well as her other required docs but curious to know if there is anything I should be aware of as they are reviewing (flagging I already spoke to FBR last year and they said we're eligible regardless of my dad being given up for adoption).

2) The current estimate says 9 to 12 months, wanted to see if that sounds right to folks who have gained their citizenship post-Brexit (e.g. is it even longer or shorter)?

3) Because of this long documentation process I went through, I am terrified our apps will get lost in the shuffle somewhere. Do they proactively send a confirmation email that the apps were received?

There is a thread here all ready for Foreign Birth Registry.You should post this query there as well.

I can't answer question #1 .

Question #2 - 9-12 months is accurate for processing time. Lately, I've estimated getting placed on the FBR at about 10 months. Getting the certificate in the mail seems to have slowed down though.There may be another surge in applications too which may slow things up a little as well.

Question #3 - they usually send an email stating the documents have arrived. If you don't get an e-mail
within a few weeks of sending them just give them a call. If you haven't sent them yet make sure you have a tracking number. Make a copy of everything you send as well including a photo of the package

Hope that helps. In the other thread for FBR the moderator-SULLA- keeps a list of people's application times to follow other's progress.

jgclancy

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jordann26 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Thank you for your insight! I posted there as well.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:59 pm
Jordann26 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm

There is a thread here all ready for Foreign Birth Registry.You should post this query there as well.

I can't answer question #1 .

Question #2 - 9-12 months is accurate for processing time. Lately, I've estimated getting placed on the FBR at about 10 months. Getting the certificate in the mail seems to have slowed down though.There may be another surge in applications too which may slow things up a little as well.

Question #3 - they usually send an email stating the documents have arrived. If you don't get an e-mail
within a few weeks of sending them just give them a call. If you haven't sent them yet make sure you have a tracking number. Make a copy of everything you send as well including a photo of the package

Hope that helps. In the other thread for FBR the moderator-SULLA- keeps a list of people's application times to follow other's progress.

jgclancy
User SULLA is NOT a moderator!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.