ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents for Tourist visa for Indian spouse

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

akuppa
Newly Registered

Documents for Tourist visa for Indian spouse

Post by akuppa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:52 am

Hi

Many apologies if this question has been asked before. I am a naturalised Biritsh citizen with a VWP passport (machine readable). My wife holds an Indian passport with a ILR (stamped December 2007). She is a also a regular employee of a global company in UK. I am a self employed IT contractor.

We plan to go to New York to attend a friend's wedding and then onto Tampa to visit my wife's brother for a few days before coming back. My wife has her visa interview scheduled for next Monday and I want to make sure that I have all the necessary documents on hand. I have produced a list here and am wondering if there is anything else that I might have missed out or need to be taken.

1. Last 6 months payslips of my wife
2. Last 6 months bank statements of my wife
3. Letter from my wife’s Employer
4. Marriage Certificate
5. My 6 months bank statements
6. Flight reservation details
7. Hotel reservation details
8. Copy of Home Office letter confirming my wife’s PR status
9. Letter from my wife’s brother (invitation letter)
10. Wedding card of my friend

Is there anything else that would be needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anand

akuppa
Newly Registered

Post by akuppa » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi

With regards to my post above, my wife got her US visa without any problems. The appointment was for 10:30 and she reached the US Consulate by 10:00. The supporting documentation that I had provided were the same as above. She submitted all her documents and was given a ticket and asked to sit. After a wait of around 3 hours, she was called to the counter where she was asked the purpose of her visit, how long she has been living in the UK and what she does (regards employment) in UK. After that she was told she would get her visa in the next 3-5 days. Her passport, with her 10 year US visa, was received by courier within 2 days.
Hope this information will be helpful to everyone

Anand

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi Akupa,
Has your wife applied for naturalisation already since she can apply straight away and not wait for one year since she's married to a British citizen?
Praise The Lord!!!!

akuppa
Newly Registered

Post by akuppa » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi jes2jes

No, we thought we needed to wait for the 1 year to apply ?? I didn't know that I could apply straight away !

Anand

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:33 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 am

jes2jes wrote:Hi Akupa,
Has your wife applied for naturalisation already since she can apply straight away and not wait for one year since she's married to a British citizen?
That isn't technically true. You can only avail of the 1 year on ILR if you have been in the UK for at least three years prior to submitting the naturalisation application (and are married to a British citizen).

There is nowhere indicated on the OP's posts how long his wife has lived in the UK, so we cannot suggest that she qualifies any time before December 2008. If she first came to the UK on a spouse visa and subsequently received ILR from that, then she has not lived in the UK for at least three years and therefore cannot apply immediately for naturalisation.

Viinny's link explains it all.

akuppa
Newly Registered

Post by akuppa » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Sakura / Vinny

Thanks for your help on this. I did feel that my wife requires 1 year since ILR to apply for citizenship.... Anyway, she would be reaching her 1 year eligibility period in December and I will be applying for her UK citizenship then.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:01 pm

sakura wrote:
jes2jes wrote:Hi Akupa,
That isn't technically true. You can only avail of the 1 year on ILR if you have been in the UK for at least three years prior to submitting the naturalisation application (and are married to a British citizen).

There is nowhere indicated on the OP's posts how long his wife has lived in the UK, so we cannot suggest that she qualifies any time before December 2008. If she first came to the UK on a spouse visa and subsequently received ILR from that, then she has not lived in the UK for at least three years and therefore cannot apply immediately for naturalisation.

Viinny's link explains it all.
I know, I assumed the OP's wife had lived in the UK for 3 years. 8)

Akuppa, can you confirm how long your other half has lived in the UK?
Praise The Lord!!!!

akuppa
Newly Registered

Post by akuppa » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Jes2jes

My wife will be completing 3 years this October.......She got her ILR last December and i guess I could start`the application process anytime from Dec ?

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:09 pm

akuppa wrote:Hi Jes2jes

My wife will be completing 3 years this October.......She got her ILR last December and i guess I could start`the application process anytime from Dec ?
Well no. Your wife can process her application exactly on the 3rd anniversary of her UK stay. She would have used December had you not been a British Citizen but since you are a BC she can apply when the residency qualification is achieved (October).
Spouses of BC do not have to wait a year after ILR if they meet the 3 year residency qualification.

So your Mrs application should be sent exactly 3 years since she came to the UK. There is no discretion on this issue.
Praise The Lord!!!!