ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and claiming benefits (urgent)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

denise
Newly Registered

ILR and claiming benefits (urgent)

Post by denise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi, my Husband got his ILR a short while ago. We currently live with my family, but this is set to change as they are moving but my Husband and I decided to take on this house as we do not wish to move to where they are going. With this, we are now wondering if he could get any kind of benefit such as housing benefit or council tax benefit or does he need to be a UK citizen before he can get those? We did not think we would ever need to claim these but in the circumstances at the moment we may have no choice. He is not working at the moment but is looking. We do not want to take any chances where Citizenship is concerned, so we need to know if it would be affected if he claimed these benefits.
Also, is he able to get Jobseekers allowance?
Thanks

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm

ILR holders are not subject to the "no recourse to public funds" rule. He can apply for whatever he is entitled to with no problems.

Are you a UK citizen? If so, no problems whatsoever. If you are not a UK citizen/ILR holder, it's my understanding that he would not be able to claim MORE benefits based on you living there.

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi, yes I am a UK citizen. Thanks for the reply its very appreciated.