ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conscription offense abroad - applying for Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maxing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Conscription offense abroad - applying for Irish Citizenship

Post by maxing » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi everyone.

I was conscripted in a certain year in Lithuania and they never told me about it, and instead decided I broke a 'law' and had to pay a silly 15 euro fine because I never responded. Now, I've lived in Ireland since a very young age (for over 15 years) and have no intention of serving there, mainly because I have a life here in Ireland and am studying in third level education. Because I am studying, I don't have to realistically worry about conscription because I can defer it (as I already have for this year, now that I know about it)

My question is, section 11.1 of the form asks if I have broken any laws in or outside of Ireland. I've never broken any laws before, anywhere other than this silly conscription notice which I paid a 15 euro fine for. Should I disclose this in the form, and if so, should I reasonably explain why this happened in a separate printed letter in more detail? Or am I safe to just ignore this?

I am wondering as well if anyone has been in a similar situation, as this money grabbing technique by Lithuania is extremely common for every living Lithuanian citizen in the age of 18-27 living abroad.

Edit: The reason I ask all these things is because I don't want to have to worry about my citizenship being rejected because of this unusual, petty ordeal Lithuania has.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Conscription offense abroad - applying for Irish Citizenship

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Is that a criminal or civil law?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

maxing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Conscription offense abroad - applying for Irish Citizenship

Post by maxing » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Obie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm
Is that a criminal or civil law?
Civil I am pretty sure, there was no court case or judges involved. Simply dealt directly with the conscription office the whole time and fined according to the 'Lithuanian Republic Administration' law