ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Status of newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shubhendra
Mood:
United Kingdom

Do I apply for my Child's Citizenship or Passport

Post by shubhendra » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:47 am

Hi,

I got my ILR in June 2019.

My first son was born in March 2017, hence I think we had to apply for his Citizenship before his British passport (whihc we haven't applied for yet)

My second child is due in July 2020. Should I be applying for the citizenship first like my first child or directly for British Passport.

Many thanks

bpatmens
England

Re: Do I apply for my Child's Citizenship or Passport

Post by bpatmens » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 am

First child is registration as British citizen (MN1 form) then the unborn child will be British passport straight away.

vinny

Re: Do I apply for my Child's Citizenship or Passport

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Only if second child will be born in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shubhendra
Mood:
United Kingdom

Status of newborn

Post by shubhendra » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi,

My socond child is due in July this year. We want the delivery to be done in India as we will not have any help here in UK.

Both my wife and I are on ILR (both eligible to apply for British citizenship in June).

If we stay on ILR and not apply for Citizenship can the child born in India in July apply for British citizenship directly from there?

We want to avoid applying for it's Indian passport and ILR fees here.

You advice is helpful as always.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Status of newborn

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm

If we stay on ILR and not apply for Citizenship can the child born in India in July apply for British citizenship directly from there?
No. The child is only automatically British if born in the UK to parents who hold ilr and can apply directly for a British passport. The child does NOT require ILR.

Being born abroad to ilr parents gives the child no rights to apply for British citizenship. If born in India, you have to apply for an Indian passport and a child settlement visa, current cost is £1523.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Topics merged, where you are already advised of this in January!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shubhendra
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by shubhendra » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Many thanks for the clarification.

Regards

shubhendra
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by shubhendra » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:43 pm

If one of the parents applies for British Citizenship in June and get it before the child is born can the Child get British cizenship directly even though if it is born abroad?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:25 pm

shubhendra wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:43 pm
If one of the parents applies for British Citizenship in June and get it before the child is born can the Child get British cizenship directly even though if it is born abroad?
The child will automatically be British by Descent and can apply directly for a passport, no need to specifically apply for citizenship. Note that child cannot pass on British citizenship to his/her own children if born outside the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm

shubhendra wrote:
If the child is born abroad on or after the date of the citizenship ceremony (and the date on the naturalisation certificate) of either parent, then the child will be born a British citizen by descent.

If the child is born even the day before the date on your naturalisation certificate, the child will not be a British citizen and will require registration on Form MN1 to become a British citizen.

Keep in mind that, if born after the date of your naturalisation certificate, as a British citizen by descent, your child will not be able to pass on his British citizenship automatically to their children (your grandchildren) if they (your grandchildren) were born outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:46 pm

shubhendra wrote:
If you only apply for citizenship in June, presumably for yourself only as your wife will be abroad for the birth in July, it is highly unlikely you will be British already by the time the child is born.

Citizenship takes a couple of months and often up to 6 months. There is no priority service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)