ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre settled status traveling to EU without a visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

toraqa
Syria

Pre settled status traveling to EU without a visa

Post by toraqa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello

My mother is a non EU citizen, she came to UK on an EEA family permit as a family member of my wife "Romanian citizen" , her permit expired on the 5th of February 2020, she applied for an pre settled status and received it on 10/01/2020 , can she travel to Netherlands without a visa if accompanied with my wife"the EU national" ?

I mean, does pre settled status residence card work the same as the one obtained under the EU regulation using EEA FM form regarding traveling visa free to the EU?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm

secret.simon

Re: Pre settled status traveling to EU without a visa

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm

toraqa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:36 pm
Hello

My mother is a non EU citizen, she came to UK on an EEA family permit as a family member of my wife "Romanian citizen" , her permit expired on the 5th of February 2020, she applied for an pre settled status and received it on 10/01/2020 , can she travel to Netherlands without a visa if accompanied with my wife"the EU national" ?

I mean, does pre settled status residence card work the same as the one obtained under the EU regulation using EEA FM form regarding traveling visa free to the EU?

No. Settled Status is issued under UK law, not EU law and your mother will require a visa to travel to the EU.

If your mother has a Residence Card issued under the EEA Regulations, she can travel visa free to the EU till 31st December 2020.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Tiktok
Morocco

Post by Tiktok » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm

toraqa wrote:
Hello

Toraqa
Can I ask question pls I'm non eu national my wife she's Romanian we have son I have residence card and pre settled I want to bring my mom over here

Can u pls tell me how did apply for ur mom did apply for eu
Settlement family permit and what documents did u provide
Thanks lot in advance

toraqa
Syria

Post by toraqa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm
toraqa wrote:
Hello

No. Settled Status is issued under UK law, not EU law and your mother will require a visa to travel to the EU.

If your mother has a Residence Card issued under the EEA Regulations, she can travel visa free to the EU till 31st December 2020.
Can she just show up at the border without a visa and expect to have a chance to prove her relationship to the EU national as stated below?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... o-schengen

However, if they arrive at the border with their passport but without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are family members of a mobile EU citizen. They can do so by providing proof of their identity and family ties with an EU citizen (for example a marriage or birth certificate) and, proof that they are joining or accompanying the EU citizen (for example, proof that the EU citizen is already living in the country where entry is sought). If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm

toraqa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm
toraqa wrote:
Hello

Can she just show up at the border without a visa and expect to have a chance to prove her relationship to the EU national as stated below?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... o-schengen

However, if they arrive at the border with their passport but without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are family members of a mobile EU citizen. They can do so by providing proof of their identity and family ties with an EU citizen (for example a marriage or birth certificate) and, proof that they are joining or accompanying the EU citizen (for example, proof that the EU citizen is already living in the country where entry is sought). If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.

Even with an EEA card, Article 10. Family Member of EEA national on it, we got issues many many times. In Germany we spent 45 minutes at the border. At Heathrow, many Air France, KLM, Aer Lingus... staff are not even aware that a relative of an EEA national can travel visa free with or to join the EEA national.

Good luck without the card. You will find yourself at a check-in desk explaining your entire life to clueless staff that won't let you board.

Tiktok
Morocco

Post by Tiktok » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

toraqa wrote:
Hello

Toraqa 
Can I ask question pls I'm non eu national my wife she's Romanian we have son I have residence card and pre settled I want to bring my mom over here 

Thanks lot in advance

toraqa
Syria

Post by toraqa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:38 am

Tiktok wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm
toraqa wrote:
Hello

Toraqa 

Thanks lot in advance
Do exactly what lululuna did, good luck.

eea-route-applications/eu-settlement-sc ... a#p1796116

toraqa
Syria

Post by toraqa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am

Tiktok wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm
toraqa wrote:
Hello

Toraqa 

Thanks lot in advance
I know it sounds redundant, but, do you think we'd have better luck traveling by train?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 am

I know it sounds redundant, but, do you think we'd have better luck traveling by train?
The rules are the same. I often travel by plane or train, even car sometimes, and you meet with same controls and they ask the same questions.

By the way, in Neetherlands, Amsterdam Airport, we were shortly blocked by an immigration officer who told us my wife is illegally in Netherlands because there was no visa in her passport. The guy never heard about Directive 2004/38/EC or anything around these lines. Only when he called his superior that we were let go.

Good luck trying the same without an EEA card.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm

toraqa wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am
Yes. Airlines and ferries are required to keep those without the 'necessary documents' from reaching other countries' immigration. You need to be able to reach Schengen immigration officers, and that can most reliably be done at the transposed immigration controls in England.