ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony received letter from wrong council

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

preetham2103
Newly Registered
India

Citizenship ceremony received letter from wrong council

Post by preetham2103 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi all, Hoe you are able to help. I tried searching the forum but couldn’t see a suitable topic for my question.
I received my citizenship ceremony letter but I received it from a different county. I live in Essex but the ceremony has been booked by HO in Birmingham. Has anyone faced a similar situation and what can I do to correct it?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Citizenship ceremony received letter from wrong council

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 pm

preetham2103 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm
Hi all, Hoe you are able to help. I tried searching the forum but couldn’t see a suitable topic for my question.
I received my citizenship ceremony letter but I received it from a different county. I live in Essex but the ceremony has been booked by HO in Birmingham. Has anyone faced a similar situation and what can I do to correct it?
Hello, people have had a similar case on this forum. Your options are limited. The quickest option is to go for your ceremony at the council where your certificate has been sent to (assuming they have an immediate appointment). Requesting a change of council could cause a further delay. But if you are not in a rush, just ask for your certificate to be sent to Essex.
There is a question in the Naturalisation application that asks if you will like to have your ceremony at another council other than yours, if you selected this, then it is possible that your certificate is sent anywhere. There have been other cases where people chose to attend the ceremony at their council and their certificates were still sent elsewhere.

Here is a similar case british-citizenship/citizen-application ... l#p1846346
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:48 pm

It's 140 miles. Just go. Trying to get it sent to another council would just delay everything.

preetham2103
Newly Registered
India

Post by preetham2103 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks for the replies. I would have gone if the ceremony was sooner but it’s end of April which is 11 weeks away. So I am contacting the local authorities to see if it can be changed before that.

preetham2103
Newly Registered
India

Post by preetham2103 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 am

[quote=Djsuccess post_id=1879062 time=1581623810 user_id=144155]
[quote=preetham2103 post_id=1879041 time=1581619380 user_id=98959]
[/quote]

Hello, people have had a similar case on this forum. Your options are limited. The quickest option is to go for your ceremony at the council where your certificate has been sent to (assuming they have an immediate appointment). Requesting a change of council could cause a further delay. But if you are not in a rush, just ask for your certificate to be sent to Essex.
There is a question in the Naturalisation application that asks if you will like to have your ceremony at another council other than yours, if you selected this, then it is possible that your certificate is sent anywhere. There have been other cases where people chose to attend the ceremony at their council and their certificates were still sent elsewhere.

Here is a similar case british-citizenship/citizen-application ... l#p1846346
[/quote]

I just checked my application form and I definitely selected NO to that question.