ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling while waiting for EU settlement

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marcoscagliusi90
Newly Registered
Italy

Travelling while waiting for EU settlement

Post by marcoscagliusi90 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi all,

My wife joined me last month with the EU settlement scheme visa valid for six months (she is Filipina). She applied for EU settlement (pre-settled) and we've been waiting for over a month now. We plan to travel together outside the UK in March on holiday.

My question is - can she leave the UK while her application is still in process? Her UK visa will still be valid until May 2020, so we're not concerned that she will be entering the UK again. Our concern is that the moment she leaves the UK on holiday (for one week), her application is withdrawn.

We called the EU Settlement call center and said they cannot provide this kind of advisory role.

Thanks a lot!

Marco

kamoe
European Union

Re: Travelling while waiting for EU settlement

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:40 pm

marcoscagliusi90 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Our concern is that the moment she leaves the UK on holiday (for one week), her application is withdrawn.
As clearly spelled out in the EUSS caseworker guidance, first document from top to bottom, page 29:
Travel outside the Common Travel Area
An application made under Part 1 of Appendix EU will not be treated as automatically withdrawn if the applicant travels outside the Common Travel Area before the application has been decided.
This means, contrary to most other applications, travel while a EU Settlement Scheme application is being decided is not treated as a cause for application withdrawal.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

lisa1933
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lisa1933 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 pm

marcoscagliusi90 wrote:
Hi all,

My wife joined me last month with the EU settlement scheme visa valid for six months (she is Filipina). She applied for EU settlement (pre-settled) and we've been waiting for over a month now. We plan to travel together outside the UK in March on holiday.

My question is - can she leave the UK while her application is still in process? Her UK visa will still be valid until May 2020, so we're not concerned that she will be entering the UK again. Our concern is that the moment she leaves the UK on holiday (for one week), her application is withdrawn.

We called the EU Settlement call center and said they cannot provide this kind of advisory role.

Thanks a lot!

Marco
That is very odd. When I called them (a month ago), they said it’s okay to travel.

I’ve been outside the UK twice now (while waiting for the decision on my application) and haven’t encountered any issues at all. I am on Tier 4.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:04 pm

lisa1933 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 pm
marcoscagliusi90 wrote:
That is very odd. When I called them (a month ago), they said it’s okay to travel.
I think what the person who answered the call meant is that they are not in a position to advise on what to do (which is true).

Depends how the question was asked: "Can you tell me if I should travel?" or "Should I travel?" is very different to "WIll my application be automatically withdrawn if I travel". Different question, different answer.

That being said, yes, they could, of course, be helpful and clarify what the official policy is, by simply referring to the guidance as I've done above!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.