ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Could my application be refused?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

madalina91
Newly Registered
Romania

Could my application be refused?

Post by madalina91 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am

After reading too many topics on here, I am freaking out and I am starting to think that my application could be refused on the basis of the good character requirement. I am an EU citizen and between 2010 and 2014 I was a student without CSI (comprehensive sickness insurance). Like others before me I had no idea this was a requirement. Now I am finding out that I was in breach of immigration law by not holding CSI.

Could my application be refused on this basis? Does anyone know of any EU citizens who have been refused on the good character requirement because they did not have CSI while they were studying? This aspect does not seem to be addressed anywhere in the guidance for caseworkers.

Just to note, I have been working full time from 2014 onward so the evidence I have submitted for the last 5 years is all employment based.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Could my application be refused?

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:50 am

I heard about this CSI card pulled when the person applies for a permanent residence.

As you are considering to apply for citizenship, I guess you hold a permanent residence.

I never heard about the CSI brought forward during the citizenship application, but it's possible in theory.

Apply and see.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:16 pm

OP has already submitted.
In the absence of reported refusals here due to CSI or case law relating to it I think there is no choice but to wait. Appreciate this is frustrating and causing anxiety. Even trying to contact the UKVI Helpline is likely to be fruitless as the staff are not case workers.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

madalina91
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by madalina91 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Thanks both for your replies! I guess it is wait and see for now.

Having read some more guidance in the EEA routes on CSI I think in my particular case I would have been exempt from the CSI requirement while a student due to the fact that I was issued with a registration certificate from what was back then UKBA, which was issued to me before June 2011. This is the text of the guidance under the document certifying permanent residency.

6.9 Note that EEA nationals who were issued with a registration certification before 20
June 2011 on the basis that they were a student would not have been required to submit
evidence that they held CSI, and therefore must not be required to provide evidence of CSI
for any period spent as a student after their certificate was issued.

I think if my interpretation of the law is correct, I am falling into a bit of a loophole and the HO will consider that I have technically exercised treaty rights as a student since I got my registration certificate.

But again, we will wait and see when I actually receive a decision. I will update this post when I receive a decision as guidance for others.