ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A Teeny Little Question about Entry Clearance

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeke

A Teeny Little Question about Entry Clearance

Post by zeke » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:51 am

Greetings!

A while back, I mentioned in a post that I do NOT want my application to be processed (and approved!!) before 6 months or so, because I need the time to prepare to leave my home country. (It is sometimes a twisted world, isn't it?)

If I only have 3 months after HSMP approval in which to get Entry Clearance, and if I want to spend as much of the first 12 months being economically active in the UK, I would be much handicapped if my application were to be processed in the span of mere weeks, as some recent posts have reported.

Friends, do you think that either of these scenarios are possible:

1) I include a letter in my application packet requesting that I not be processed in a timeframe of several weeks, but within the 6-7 months that they have been posting on the HO website for a very long time. Would they honor such a request if I explain the hardship that would ensue if it were to be processed immediately?

2) If the application is processed very quickly, I can wait up to 3 months before going to the British office in my home country to get Entry Clearance, right? And then when they go to stamp my passport, may I request a certain date that they make the Entry Clearacne valid? Or must it be the date that they actually stamp the passport? If it is permitted for me to request a date that would not pose a hardship for me, how far ahead may I request the date to be (I recently read a post where this scenario seemed to be suggested, and I want to be sure I understand this correctly.)

Am I correct that the first HSMP year begins with the date of the Entry Clearance stamp?

If I were able to defer my entry clearance date (and therefore the date of the commencement of the first HSMP year), would I be placeing myself at any risk of programs being changed or deleted, given the recent announements about immigration policy? Could I be creating a possible bureaucratic nightmare for myself? (I realize that you may not be able to answer this question fully...)

Thank you.
Be Well!

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Re: A Teeny Little Question about Entry Clearance

Post by Cosmopol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:02 am

zeke wrote:1) I include a letter in my application packet requesting that I not be processed in a timeframe of several weeks, but within the 6-7 months that they have been posting on the HO website for a very long time. Would they honor such a request if I explain the hardship that would ensue if it were to be processed immediately?
I don't think they'll process applications on such individually scheduled basis - especially given the heat they are probably under. You could wait until a clear trend emerges, and then you can better schedule your submission, or take a GBP150 risk and submit now - at worst you'll waste your fee... but perhaps will get something out of it (not sure how straight and clean your app is).
zeke wrote:2) If the application is processed very quickly, I can wait up to 3 months before going to the British office in my home country to get Entry Clearance, right? And then when they go to stamp my passport, may I request a certain date that they make the Entry Clearacne valid? Or must it be the date that they actually stamp the passport? If it is permitted for me to request a date that would not pose a hardship for me, how far ahead may I request the date to be (I recently read a post where this scenario seemed to be suggested, and I want to be sure I understand this correctly.)
Sometimes it is possible to actually "buy" 6 months by waiting 'till near the end of the HSMP letter validity, and then requesting a visa post-dated 3 months. However, not all diplomatic posts honor such requests, so you can't be sure unless there is a clear trend at your post (or specific response to your inquiry from them).
zeke wrote:Am I correct that the first HSMP year begins with the date of the Entry Clearance stamp?
That was the prevailing understanding, and that's everyone's trouble, but recently I was hearing that you actually may start counting your first HSMP year from the physical entry date.
zeke wrote:If I were able to defer my entry clearance date (and therefore the date of the commencement of the first HSMP year), would I be placeing myself at any risk of programs being changed or deleted, given the recent announements about immigration policy? Could I be creating a possible bureaucratic nightmare for myself?
All those who are not British citizens are theoretically always under threat of the law changing unfavorably in various aspects. However, all other things being equal, I don't think one should worry; as long as your app is successful, the course of your actions should not be reversed. What may change is you might wait longer for (or work harder towards) certain benefits, economical or immigration.

Good luck, and hope to hear from you as you move on.
Last edited by Cosmopol on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:03 am

answer to [2] is yes you can request a date of your choice but it has to be within 3months of the current date. and your HSMP will start on that date. so you really have at least 6months from approval date to make your move

zeke

Post by zeke » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:53 pm

Thank you both for your prompt, informative and reassuring replies.

f2k, you have given me the idea to write to my local British High Commisison to confirm these facts about Entry Clearance. I will let you know the results!

Cosmopol, concerns about Entry Clearance do seem to be a common theme on these boards -- could information be added to the helpful Read This First section?

Does anyone have any further replies to my question?

Thank you all!
Be Well!

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:16 pm

zeke wrote:Cosmopol, concerns about Entry Clearance do seem to be a common theme on these boards -- could information be added to the helpful Read This First section?
As of now, I don't have 100% clarity regarding how these rules are practiced. Once this improves, we'll add that info.

bani

Post by bani » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:39 pm

The sticky thread on the Entry Clearance process is useful to read. Some applicants reported being able to get a postdated EC stamp, others didn't. I do think it depends on which consulate/city you go to.

Sher

Post by Sher » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Any post-dated (stamping) EC experiences from Bombay ?
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll: