ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to get married at a church?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zebra3

how to get married at a church?

Post by zebra3 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:59 pm

I am just looking for some info how to get married at a church?

any info (steps and procedures) will be appreciated.

Thanks you All

Zebra 3 :?

3crown

Re: how to get married at a church?

Post by 3crown » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi Zebra 3 - we got married in CoE last year. I am UK citizen - he was an overstayer, Requirements were
my passport (only for ID), proof of address, his birth certificate, proof that we'd lived in ' parish' - as far as I can remember it had to be for more than six months, which we just scraped through on! We also had to get a Bishop's Special Licence and I had to swear on oath that I wasn't already married. He didn't even need to attend that funnily enough!
Move quickly though - when you get married, ask for TWO copies of the marriage certificate - because you'll always have one away somewhere proving the marriage - we've only just got both our copies in our hands again. Have to say our Vicar was superb and so understanding and helpful....PM me if you want more info x Good Luck!

zebra3 wrote:I am just looking for some info how to get married at a church?

any info (steps and procedures) will be appreciated.

Thanks you All

Zebra 3 :?
Last edited by 3crown on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:40 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 pm

I am just looking for some info how to get married at a church?
Have you any particular type of Church in mind?
John

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Church of england,I will ask my partner. Thanks for your help

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi, I do have a same question with my partner from US, she is in the UK as a 2nd year of college student. I am is UK citizen. We would like to getting married in this year I hope if we can. My partner check with our local church and the priest will meet us on next Tuesday. My partner is concern about in case the priest let us marry in the church. Then will it cost much more than going to registry office? Will church require the minimum people to join the ceremony since my partner don't have any friends or family in the UK? Can anyone give us any advise? Thank you so much!

3crown

Post by 3crown » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm

we did it with two witnesses (my daughters, though it doesn't have to be family) and their partners. Does your fiance not have any college friends?
Do askthe priest for TWO marriage certificates (didn't cost us anything more), you will need them, I promise.
gimli wrote:Hi, I do have a same question with my partner from US, she is in the UK as a 2nd year of college student. I am is UK citizen. We would like to getting married in this year I hope if we can. My partner check with our local church and the priest will meet us on next Tuesday. My partner is concern about in case the priest let us marry in the church. Then will it cost much more than going to registry office? Will church require the minimum people to join the ceremony since my partner don't have any friends or family in the UK? Can anyone give us any advise? Thank you so much!

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks 3Crown. Will do with the certs and I am also sure that they will come in handy as well. My concern was that as I am from the UK, there would be lots of people from my side of the family and only a few friends from my partner as most of her family is in Hong Kong or the US.

Can I clarify with you, did you get married in a church with just two people or was it at the registry office.

Thanks again

3crown

Post by 3crown » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:11 pm

Hello
we got married in a CoE church, us, my daughters, their partners, and the Vicar. Arranged it in 3 weeks; why don't you keep it small anyway so that your fiance doesn't feel 'abandoned' by her family and then maybe have a family party another time? NONE of my husband's family came to our wedding - couldn't afford to.
gimli wrote:Thanks 3Crown. Will do with the certs and I am also sure that they will come in handy as well. My concern was that as I am from the UK, there would be lots of people from my side of the family and only a few friends from my partner as most of her family is in Hong Kong or the US.

Can I clarify with you, did you get married in a church with just two people or was it at the registry office.

Thanks again

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks to reply me and the reason is if we getting married in CoE then my partner don't need to apply for the COA from her home office. Otherwise, we can't get married at the end of this year. I am agree with you and my partner and me don't want have a large wedding too. That reason I would like to ask is anyone married in the CoE with only one side family. Will it cost a lot if getting married in the CoE? Thanks again

3crown

Post by 3crown » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:24 pm

We were in your exact situation. I believe from memory it cost us about £300 for licence, flowers, meal afterwards. It was a lovely day.
gimli wrote:Thanks to reply me and the reason is if we getting married in CoE then my partner don't need to apply for the COA from her home office. Otherwise, we can't get married at the end of this year. I am agree with you and my partner and me don't want have a large wedding too. That reason I would like to ask is anyone married in the CoE with only one side family. Will it cost a lot if getting married in the CoE? Thanks again

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am

Thank you 3Crown to give us a very helpful information and we went to meet the priest and she said that we can getting married in the church without need to apply COA. That is such a wonderful news.