ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation: PR (Permanent residence card or document) vs ILR (Indefinite leave to remain)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

moctey
Newly Registered

Naturalisation: PR (Permanent residence card or document) vs ILR (Indefinite leave to remain)

Post by moctey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi,

I am given two options:
- Indefinite leave to remain (I have the IRL settled status granted in jan 2019)
- Permanent residence card or document (I acquired the status in 2015 and have the blue card)

Is there a difference between applying with one or the other option ? (pro/cons?)

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation: PR (Permanent residence card or document) vs ILR (Indefinite leave to remain)

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 pm

moctey wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Hi,

I am given two options:
- Indefinite leave to remain (I have the IRL settled status granted in jan 2019)
- Permanent residence card or document (I acquired the status in 2015 and have the blue card)

Is there a difference between applying with one or the other option ? (pro/cons?)
You could use either - as you acquired PR in 2015 you could have applied in 2016 already.
You just select under which "route" you apply because both statuses are proof that you are "free from immigration restrictions" for the purpose of naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: Naturalisation: PR (Permanent residence card or document) vs ILR (Indefinite leave to remain)

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 am

Yes.

The advantage of using PR is that it shows that you have not been in breach of the immigration laws in the past five years. Whether this is actually an advantage remains to be seen, and may not be known for many years to come.

In general, one would have to show that an older acquisition of PR had not been lost through absence, but showing the required presence in the UK for the past 5 years also shows that you have not lost PR through absence.