ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

** Advice for Unmarried partner visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

funkeymonkey223
Newly Registered
United States of America

** Advice for Unmarried partner visa

Post by funkeymonkey223 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello-

Would greatly appreciate some advice on our unmarried partner visa application.....

Relationship Background

I (USA National and visa applicant) was first introduced to my partner (UK National and visa sponsor) in secondary school, 2008, where we dated briefly.
Many years later, June 2015, we reconnected in UK when i travelled there on holiday and began dating again officially in October 2016. We began our relationship as long distance, talking over skype, via messenger and seeing each-other on holidays. Several holidays back and forth visiting each-other, each-others family, attending weddings, etc. (all documents can be provided, tickets, accommodation, etc.)

I then moved to UK in August 2017 to attend university- my Tier 4 Student visa valid from August 2017 to October 2019. During this whole period my partner and I rented a flat together. (2y 2 months).
***Both names on Tenancy Agreements, Council Tax and Electric Bills as joint financial commitments. We also now share a joint bank account.

After my visa expired in October 2019, I travelled back to Malaysia (home) due to some family issues. I returned to the UK January 2020 (total of 90 days holiday) and returned to our home in UK to present (Name still on tenancy agreement). I have currently entered back into the UK on a tourist visa- and so my partner supports both of us financially. We are currently waiting to apply for visa ASAP.

- WHY we have not applied yet:
The timeline of financial requirements for my sponsor did not line up:
As a sole director for a company he began in June 2019: we needed 12 month of history for this or annual tax returns filed in April 2020.
He acquired a salary job (in addition to the business) that began as of December 2019: we would need 6 months minimum payslips for this.
Leaving our earliest application dates at either April 2020 or June 2020.

My questions:

1. Will the fact that I am currently in the UK as a tourist affect my application? As we still are technically living together and both under the tenancy agreement... As well as already having met the 2year cohabitation period in UK.
2. Does our relationship seem to suffice the 'akin to marriage' requirement for unmarried partner application? Do our joint financial commitments suffice?
3. Are there any obvious weak links in the application or does it appear overall strong?

Thank you for any and all help!

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: ** Advice for Unmarried partner visa

Post by physicskate » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 pm

funkeymonkey223 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Hello-

Would greatly appreciate some advice on our unmarried partner visa application.....

Relationship Background

I (USA National and visa applicant) was first introduced to my partner (UK National and visa sponsor) in secondary school, 2008, where we dated briefly.
Many years later, June 2015, we reconnected in UK when i travelled there on holiday and began dating again officially in October 2016. We began our relationship as long distance, talking over skype, via messenger and seeing each-other on holidays. Several holidays back and forth visiting each-other, each-others family, attending weddings, etc. (all documents can be provided, tickets, accommodation, etc.)

I then moved to UK in August 2017 to attend university- my Tier 4 Student visa valid from August 2017 to October 2019. During this whole period my partner and I rented a flat together. (2y 2 months).
***Both names on Tenancy Agreements, Council Tax and Electric Bills as joint financial commitments. We also now share a joint bank account.

After my visa expired in October 2019, I travelled back to Malaysia (home) due to some family issues. I returned to the UK January 2020 (total of 90 days holiday) and returned to our home in UK to present (Name still on tenancy agreement). I have currently entered back into the UK on a tourist visa- and so my partner supports both of us financially. We are currently waiting to apply for visa ASAP.

- WHY we have not applied yet:
The timeline of financial requirements for my sponsor did not line up:
As a sole director for a company he began in June 2019: we needed 12 month of history for this or annual tax returns filed in April 2020.
He acquired a salary job (in addition to the business) that began as of December 2019: we would need 6 months minimum payslips for this.
Leaving our earliest application dates at either April 2020 or June 2020.

My questions:

1. Will the fact that I am currently in the UK as a tourist affect my application? As we still are technically living together and both under the tenancy agreement... As well as already having met the 2year cohabitation period in UK.
2. Does our relationship seem to suffice the 'akin to marriage' requirement for unmarried partner application? Do our joint financial commitments suffice?
3. Are there any obvious weak links in the application or does it appear overall strong?

Thank you for any and all help!
Couple of thoughts:
You cannot apply from within the UK.

You are not allowed on the tenancy agreement as a visitor...

They might not consider you to be currently 'living' together as you are not allowed to be resident in the UK as a visitor. But then again, given the significant history of living together, you might be ok. I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer on this.

funkeymonkey223
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: ** Advice for Unmarried partner visa

Post by funkeymonkey223 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Thanks for your response.

Should have noted- Yes, I will be travelling to the USA to apply at earliest possible date of application.
As for tenancy agreement- yes it is pending removal depending on how soon visa is able to be done.

Do you have any suggestions on how to strengthen the aspect of living situation? Though I am a visitor in UK, we are given 6 months upon entry which is quite an extended amount of time...