ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Guidance and advice for naturalization

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:56 pm

Dear friends,

I’ll be most grateful if someone can help with my queries and reassure me of best course of action.

I got my ILR (5 years of tier 2 visa as a doctor) on 13th February 2019.

I have started the online application for naturalization a couple of weeks ago but not sure if I can submit online and pay the fees before the 13th of Feb which I was planning to do and book a biometric appointment after that. Is this something I should avoid?

Also, during the past 12 months of my ILR application I’ve been to Spain for 5 days only. Does it mean by any chance that I need to delay my application for 5 days? (During the past 5 years I’ve been outside the countries on holidays like two weeks on each year), is this something I need to count before applying or is is the 12 month only after the ILR?

I am employed by the NHS on a permanent contract and have a small limited company for my extra hours work for which I am the director and pay corporate tax every year. Is this something I need to enclose in my application?

Finally, my kids are waiting for their mother to get their ILR all together in July. We have all lived together for the past 6 years but the mother changed her visa hence the delay. My question is, once my wife and kids have their ILR can they apply straight after that for naturalization if I’ve got my British citizenship by then? Or will they have to wait for 12 months after?

Many thanks and best wishes ahead.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Guidance and advice for naturalization

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 am

to_be_or_not_to_be wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:56 pm
Dear friends,

I’ll be most grateful if someone can help with my queries and reassure me of best course of action.

I have started the online application for naturalization a couple of weeks ago but not sure if I can submit online and pay the fees before the 13th of Feb which I was planning to do and book a biometric appointment after that. Is this something I should avoid? There's no early application for naturalisation, it's not immigration rules! You can apply from 13 Feb onwards.

Also, during the past 12 months of my ILR application I’ve been to Spain for 5 days only. Does it mean by any chance that I need to delay my application for 5 days? (During the past 5 years I’ve been outside the countries on holidays like two weeks on each year), is this something I need to count before applying or is is the 12 month only after the ILR? Have you reviewed the guidance where everything is explained? https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance - you count and declare your absences for the five years working back from the naturalisation application date.

I am employed by the NHS on a permanent contract and have a small limited company for my extra hours work for which I am the director and pay corporate tax every year. Is this something I need to enclose in my application? Yes, separately if the application window can't take parallel employments.

Finally, my kids are waiting for their mother to get their ILR all together in July. We have all lived together for the past 6 years but the mother changed her visa hence the delay. My question is, once my wife and kids have their ILR can they apply straight after that for naturalization if I’ve got my British citizenship by then? Yes - wife can apply together with kids (when they have ILR) from the day you receive your naturalisation certificate. Or will they have to wait for 12 months Noafter?

Ask further questions in this thread.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 am

I have started the online application for naturalization a couple of weeks ago but not sure if I can submit online and pay the fees before the 13th of Feb which I was planning to do and book a biometric appointment after that. Is this something I should avoid? There's no early application for naturalisation, it's not immigration rules! You can apply from 13 Feb onwards. ..... Great, I will. Thanks.

Also, during the past 12 months of my ILR application I’ve been to Spain for 5 days only. Does it mean by any chance that I need to delay my application for 5 days? (During the past 5 years I’ve been outside the countries on holidays like two weeks on each year), is this something I need to count before applying or is is the 12 month only after the ILR? Have you reviewed the guidance where everything is explained? https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance - you count and declare your absences for the five years working back from the naturalisation application date.
Yes, I have but some conflicting post from this board shaked me a bit and I dont want to loose more money. I will definately declare my absence as i did with my ILR application but my question is; if I was absent for a total of 45 days during my 5 years teir two visa and 5 days during my ILR year, should I delay my naturalization application by 5, 45 or combined 50 days? or there is no such a thing and I can go ahead?

I am employed by the NHS on a permanent contract and have a small limited company for my extra hours work for which I am the director and pay corporate tax every year. Is this something I need to enclose in my application? Yes, separately if the application window can't take parallel employments. Again, thanks. Are you aware if it's just a declaration or do I need to file anything from the company? To be honest I wasn't aware of this and have not declared it in my previous visas/ILR despite being in operation since 2015.

Finally, my kids are waiting for their mother to get their ILR all together in July. We have all lived together for the past 6 years but the mother changed her visa hence the delay. My question is, once my wife and kids have their ILR can they apply straight after that for naturalization if I’ve got my British citizenship by then? Yes - wife can apply together with kids (when they have ILR) from the day you receive your naturalisation certificate. Or will they have to wait for 12 months Noafter? Great, so hopefully by the time they get the ILR i would have received my naturalization and they can apply a couple of weeks after.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't follow your query, if you only had 50 days in five years there's no problem at all.
Yes, I have but some conflicting post from this board shaked me a bit and I dont want to loose more money. I will definately declare my absence as i did with my ILR application but my question is; if I was absent for a total of 45 days during my 5 years teir two visa and 5 days during my ILR year, should I delay my naturalization application by 5, 45 or combined 50 days? or there is no such a thing and I can go ahead?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Citizenship application refused

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi,

Sadly I received a letter today stating that my application has been unsuccessful. The reason they stated is incorrect and I strongly believe they have overlooked my documents.

Rejection reason : not living in the UK before my application date.

Facts:

Lived in the UK on tier 2 continuously since March 2014 without any gaps.

I had my ILR on 13/2/2019 and applied for naturalization on 15/2/2020

I have enclosed a copy of all my 3 tier 2 visas and my ILR. I have also provided them with letters from my employer that I have continuous service with the NHS since March 2014.

I understand that I will need to appeal with form NR but not sure if anyone with previous experience can guide and advise.

I’m not sure if a lawyer is needed as well?

Is there any processing time for so?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship application refused

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Sadly I received a letter today stating that my application has been unsuccessful. The reason they stated is incorrect and I strongly believe they have overlooked my documents.

Rejection reason : not living in the UK before my application date.

Facts:

Lived in the UK on tier 2 continuously since March 2014 without any gaps.

I had my ILR on 13/2/2019 and applied for naturalization on 15/2/2020
What was the exact wording of the letter? Did it state you were not physically present 5 years ago on the same date as you applied for citizenship?? Or does it specifically state not resident in the UK? These are two very different statements.

Were you physically present in the UK on 14/15/16 February 2015?? Were you out of the UK in holiday etc at that time in 2015?

Did you perhaps miss the mandatory requirement of being physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago on the same date as you apply for citizenship?
I understand that I will need to appeal with form NR but not sure if anyone with previous experience can guide and advise.

I’m not sure if a lawyer is needed as well?

Is there any processing time for so?
Form NR is NOT an appeal. You can't appeal a refused citizenship application. Form NR is a reconsideration request with a fee. It can take as long as ho needs to. There is no minimum timeframe.

You don't need a lawyer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes that was the exact wording

And I have been living here continually since March 2014.

I’m not sure what evidence will they need?
- passport has been scanned completely including the visas
- tier 2 biometrics sent
- letter from all three employers back after to March 2014 and with no gaps in employment

I have my P60 and all NHS payslips which I’m thinking to scan and send with another letter from the employer.

Not sure if there is a way to call them as it was very disappointing!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Can you post the exact wording of the letter, exactly as it appears in the letter?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Also useful if you answered the other questions asked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks again. It exactly states the following

As this application was received on 13 February 2020, you would have had to be in the United Kingdom on 14 February 2015.

As you were not in the United Kingdom on 14 February 2015, this requirement is not met. The Secretary of State has therefore refused your application.

——-

I have checked my holidays and yes I was outside the country for 10 days between 12 and 23 February 2015. Probably that’s the reason!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Yes, you failed to meet the mandatory requirement of being physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago, so the refusal would be correct.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 pm

I understand the solution to that is made a fresh application rather than appealing.

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 pm

The refusal letter continue to say the following:

If you wish to become a british citizen, a fresh application will be required. It’s open to you to re-apply at any time but you may wish to note that an application made before 22 Feb 2020 is unlikely to be successful.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Yes, you need to apply and pay again and meet all the mandatory requirements at the time of the new application.

Note, you can't appeal a refused citizenship application as it is not an immigration application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 pm

When you apply for naturalisation, you have to ensure you were physically present exactly 5 years ago in the UK.

Potentially, someone could have lived 20 years continuous in the UK but exactly 5 years ago he was out of the country for a short holiday, his application will be refused.

So take the date of the application minus 5 years, you must be in the UK that day.

Sometimes they are nice enough to call or write to ask you to change the date of your application so you don't lose you money. But here, they just didn't bother: refusal and money loss.

You can just apply again but make sure you meet that requirement.

to_be_or_not_to_be
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by to_be_or_not_to_be » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks you both.

I will make a new application tonight. I’ll ensure that I was in the UK on the day of submission.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 pm

As this application was received on 13 February 2020, you would have had to be in the United Kingdom on 14 February 2015.

As you were not in the United Kingdom on 14 February 2015, this requirement is not met. The Secretary of State has therefore refused your application.

——-
I have been looking through this thread and im confused a little bit. If the person applied on the 13th feb 2020, why does he need to be present in the uk on the 14th feb 2015? Shouldnt they be present on the 13th feb 2015? (Literally dont understand what 14th feb has to do with it?) im applying very soon and dont want to get refused, so if i apply on the 17th april, but i was on hol on the 18th april 2015 - i will get rejected?

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:48 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 pm

——-
I have been looking through this thread and im confused a little bit. If the person applied on the 13th feb 2020, why does he need to be present in the uk on the 14th feb 2015? Shouldnt they be present on the 13th feb 2015? (Literally dont understand what 14th feb has to do with it?) im applying very soon and dont want to get refused, so if i apply on the 17th april, but i was on hol on the 18th april 2015 - i will get rejected?
Can anyone reply to this please? It really is confusing and against the actual rule?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:48 pm
oxana777 wrote:

——-
Can anyone reply to this please? It really is confusing and against the actual rule?
You should probably ask your question on your own thread and not tag on to this. To simply put, the guidance is there, all you need to do is follow the instruction. If you are in doubt, wait until you are sure you were present in the UK 5 years ago before you submit your application. To be on a safe side make you in the UK -1 0 and +1 five years ago. That is if you are applying on 17th April, make sure you were present 16th, 17th and 18th April 2015. If you are not, then don't submit the application. My humble advice
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:05 pm

freddiekeller wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:29 pm
Incidentally: am I mistaken in my observation that being rejected on this basis is ludicrous since in the application form you must state your travel history, which should allow their system to remind you of this requirement automatically?
The web form is pretty much a like-for-like replacement for the paper form. Neither the paper form nor the web form alert you to this requirement because according to the Home Office, the onus is on the end-user filling in the form to have read through the Guide AN and Booklet AN and understood the requirements.
Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:16 pm
If you were away 5 years before you submitted your application, there are 2 options:

- They refuse and take the money. You will need to submit a new application and pay the fees again.

- They contact you and assist you in changing the date of your application so you don't lose your money.

It depends if they want to be nice or not.
I don't think that it depends on the mood of the caseworker du jour :) . Pages 14-15 of the Naturalisation as a British citizen policy guidance (which is used by caseworkers to assess the application) outlines the circumstances when the applicant can be asked to redeclare the application.
Where the applicant fails to meet the requirement to be in the UK at the start of the qualifying period by 2 months or less, either side of the application date, you must consider using discretion to allow them to re-declare their application. Where discretion is being exercised you must request that the applicant re-declares their application, by using Doc Gen letter 4746.

Where they fail to meet the requirement by more than 2 months, you must refuse the application. In these cases it will not be appropriate for a refund to be issued.

Where an application is re-declared, the original application date is superseded by the date on which the re-declaration is received by the Home Office. You must ensure that applicants are aware that they need to ensure that the new application date does not fall on a date that they would still not meet the qualifying period. If there has been a fee change between the original application date and the date that they submit their re-declaration they must pay the fee in force at the time of the redeclaration.
Note again that this is still at discretion. My understanding is that this is generally exercised if not meeting the five/three year physical presence requirement is the *only* matter preventing the grant of naturalisation AND it is obvious to the caseworker that changing the declaration date by up to two months would resolve the issue. I think (my opinion) that if there are multiple issues with the application, then the discretion is not exercised.
oxana777 wrote:
The requirement is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the start of the five/three year period (depending on whether you are applying as the spouse of a british citizen) immediately preceding the date of application.

The precise rule is in Section 1(2)(a) of Schedule 1 of the British Nationality Act 1981.
that the applicant was in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the period of five years ending with the date of the application, and that the number of days on which he was absent from the United Kingdom in that period does not exceed 450; and
If you applied on 17th April 2020, the start of a one year period before that date would be 18th April 2019. Similarly, the start of the five year period before that date would be 18th April 2015.

If you know that you were absent on 18th April 2015, do not apply on 17th April 2020.

Indeed, I would expand on @Djsuccess's timeframe. I would avoid applying in the same week where I know that five (or three as the case may be) years ago, I was physically absent from the UK.

Keep in mind that the Home Office has no discretion to disregard this requirement. They can ask you to redeclare your application (delaying it), but they can't ignore this requirement completely. If they requirement is not met, they must reject your application (keeping the fees).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:05 pm
oxana777 wrote:
The requirement is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the start of the five/three year period (depending on whether you are applying as the spouse of a british citizen) immediately preceding the date of application.

If you applied on 17th April 2020, the start of a one year period before that date would be 18th April 2019. Similarly, the start of the five year period before that date would be 18th April 2015.

If you know that you were absent on 18th April 2015, do not apply on 17th April 2020.

Indeed, I would expand on @Djsuccess's timeframe. I would avoid applying in the same week where I know that five (or three as the case may be) years ago, I was physically absent from the UK.

Keep in mind that the Home Office has no discretion to disregard this requirement. They can ask you to redeclare your application (delaying it), but they can't ignore this requirement completely. If they requirement is not met, they must reject your application (keeping the fees).
Thanks. Even more confused with the April 2019? I feel like im missing something
I have been living in the UK since September 2005. On the 18th April 2015 i went on holiday for 10 days. So you are saying that I better not apply on the 16th-17th 2020 as it would get rejected? So if i apply after 28th (i came back from holiday on 28th April 2015) i should be ok?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm
Even more confused with the April 2019? I feel like im missing something
Ignore that. I meant it as an example. There is no requirement to be physically present at the start of one year prior to the date of application.
oxana777 wrote:
I have been living in the UK since September 2005. On the 18th April 2015 i went on holiday for 10 days. So you are saying that I better not apply on the 16th-17th 2020 as it would get rejected? So if i apply after 28th (i came back from holiday on 28th April 2015) i should be ok?
I'd suggest applying on or after 30th April 2020, to be on the safe side.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:19 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Even more confused with the April 2019? I feel like im missing something
Ignore that. I meant it as an example. There is no requirement to be physically present at the start of one year prior to the date of application.
oxana777 wrote:
I'd suggest applying on or after 30th April 2020, to be on the safe side.
Below is the quote from the Home Office guidance, just an FYI. Hence im trying to see where is this +/- several days thing coming from to be honest.

• You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.
• For example, if your application is received on 05/01/2018 you should have been physically present in the UK on 05/01/2013.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:22 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:19 pm
Hence im trying to see where is this +/- several days thing coming from to be honest.
The guidance is just that; guidance. I have quoted the specific section of the law that applies in this case above.

The margin is to prevent a sloppy caseworker from miscalculating, rejecting your application and it going into reconsideration (which can take months).

Better to be safe than sorry. But of course, it is your money and your time.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:25 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:22 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:19 pm
Hence im trying to see where is this +/- several days thing coming from to be honest.
The guidance is just that; guidance. I have quoted the specific section of the law that applies in this case above.

The margin is to prevent a sloppy caseworker from miscalculating, rejecting your application and it going into reconsideration (which can take months).

Better to be safe than sorry. But of course, it is your money and your time.
Ok i see, thanks. I have got everything ready, including signed declarations etc. Hence worry now that by end of this month the date of declarations will get out of date and i will have to redo it all over again which is a pain in current situation.. hence just wanted to apply asap :(