ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalisation - should I include my education history in the online application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mma_jd
Newly Registered
Poland

"Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification"

Post by mma_jd » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 am

So I am an EU citizen with permenant residence applying for citizenship through the online form. I don't have a valid passport but I do have a valid EU ID card, and every bit of online guidance I read including the official UK guidance on the governments website, says this is fine. However, in the online form, after selecting that I only have an expired EU passport and a valid ID card, and entering the details of these, I then got asked "Do you have a valid travel document". To this I selected "no" since as far as I know a travel document is something seperate to an ID card otherwise it wouldn't be asking me this after I entered my ID card details. I then got asked "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification." and underneath it says "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification. Proof of identity is usually required to make a valid application. You cannot use a national identity card to prove your identity for this application".

I am very confused. Why is the online form saying I cannot use a national identity card to prove my identity? This goes against the actual official guidance. What should I do? I have spent £200 and many hours so far on this application, I am dead set on sending it in as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

Pan13
United Kingdom

Re: "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification"

Post by Pan13 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Your best bet is to call UKVI citizenship line and ask that question. I asked them to clarify few things to me already.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 pm

mma_jd wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 am
So I am an EU citizen with permenant residence applying for citizenship through the online form. I don't have a valid passport but I do have a valid EU ID card, and every bit of online guidance I read including the official UK guidance on the governments website, says this is fine. However, in the online form, after selecting that I only have an expired EU passport and a valid ID card, and entering the details of these, I then got asked "Do you have a valid travel document". To this I selected "no" since as far as I know a travel document is something seperate to an ID card otherwise it wouldn't be asking me this after I entered my ID card details. I then got asked "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification." and underneath it says "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification. Proof of identity is usually required to make a valid application. You cannot use a national identity card to prove your identity for this application".

I am very confused. Why is the online form saying I cannot use a national identity card to prove my identity? This goes against the actual official guidance. What should I do? I have spent £200 and many hours so far on this application, I am dead set on sending it in as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.
Why not go renew your expired EU passport before applying for naturalisation? It shouldn't be that hard, or is it? Even if you managed to get your naturalisation certificate, HMPO will likely not issue you a British passport.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

mma_jd
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by mma_jd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 am

Djsuccess wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 pm
mma_jd wrote:

Why not go renew your expired EU passport before applying for naturalisation? It shouldn't be that hard, or is it? Even if you managed to get your naturalisation certificate, HMPO will likely not issue you a British passport.
Because the Polish embassy in London has ridiculous waiting times and I don't want to fly to Poland just to get my passport renewed. I'm confused, why would HMPO not issue me a British passport? When I become a British citizen, why would having a foreign passport be a requirement to get a British one?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:26 am

mma_jd wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 am
Djsuccess wrote:
mma_jd wrote:

Because the Polish embassy in London has ridiculous waiting times and I don't want to fly to Poland just to get my passport renewed. I'm confused, why would HMPO not issue me a British passport? When I become a British citizen, why would having a foreign passport be a requirement to get a British one?
HMPO will only issue you a British passport with the exact name as on your foreign passport. In fact, HMPO will ask for the passport you used to enter the UK and any other expired/cancelled/valid passport you have.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

mma_jd
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by mma_jd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:23 am

Djsuccess wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:26 am
mma_jd wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 am
Djsuccess wrote:
mma_jd wrote:

HMPO will only issue you a British passport with the exact name as on your foreign passport. In fact, HMPO will ask for the passport you used to enter the UK and any other expired/cancelled/valid passport you have.
Ok, so I will supply them with my expired passport? I don't see the problem. I don't have the passport I used to enter the UK as I entered the UK when I was 3.

mma_jd
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by mma_jd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Just a little update and hopefully someone here could give me some more clarification:

Basically I phoned the UKVI number for nationality enquiries and the lady who I spoke to was of some help but I am still a bit concerned. She basically says she doesn't know why it says that, but that my permanent residence card and my expired passport should be enough evidence of my identification. I also read the AN guidance again and it still says that an EEA national ID card is proof of nationality and identification too. So on the online form, where it asks "Reason for not providing identification documents", I put:

"I am able to provide my most recent expired passport, my ID card which I use for travel to other countries, and my permanent residence document. According to the AN guidance these should be a valid form of identification."

Will this be alright? Is there a chance they might actually decline my application over this? I really don't know why the online form is saying "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification. Proof of identity is usually required to make a valid application. You cannot use a national identity card to prove your identity for this application.", even the lady on the phone didn't seem to know why.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:02 pm

mma_jd wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Just a little update and hopefully someone here could give me some more clarification:

Basically I phoned the UKVI number for nationality enquiries and the lady who I spoke to was of some help but I am still a bit concerned. She basically says she doesn't know why it says that, but that my permanent residence card and my expired passport should be enough evidence of my identification. I also read the AN guidance again and it still says that an EEA national ID card is proof of nationality and identification too. So on the online form, where it asks "Reason for not providing identification documents", I put:

"I am able to provide my most recent expired passport, my ID card which I use for travel to other countries, and my permanent residence document. According to the AN guidance these should be a valid form of identification."

Will this be alright? Is there a chance they might actually decline my application over this? I really don't know why the online form is saying "Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification. Proof of identity is usually required to make a valid application. You cannot use a national identity card to prove your identity for this application.", even the lady on the phone didn't seem to know why.
If that's what the AN guidance says, then you should be fine.
I will allow others who might have had a similar experience to comments. My preference would still be to renew the passport. I guess possibly because I don't like taking risks. :lol:

mma_jd
Newly Registered
Poland

British Naturalisation - should I include my education history in the online application?

Post by mma_jd » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 pm

So I have pretty much finished my online application for naturalisation. The thing is I am only 20 years old and have only been working for about 2 years, I am worried the government will look at this and decide I have not met some sort of requirement, even though I've been in this country since I was 5. In the section at the end where it says "do you have any additional information regarding this applicant" would it be wise to include the fact that I have attended education here from primary all the way to college? I am honestly quite surprised that the application doesn't ask about your education history at any point by itself.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: British Naturalisation - should I include my education history in the online application?

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:54 pm

mma_jd wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 pm
So I have pretty much finished my online application for naturalisation. The thing is I am only 20 years old and have only been working for about 2 years, I am worried the government will look at this and decide I have not met some sort of requirement, even though I've been in this country since I was 5. In the section at the end where it says "do you have any additional information regarding this applicant" would it be wise to include the fact that I have attended education here from primary all the way to college? I am honestly quite surprised that the application doesn't ask about your education history at any point by itself.
Your education history is not required. Just add enough document to show that you have been living here for long. You are an EU citizen

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Naturalisation - should I include my education history in the online application?

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:55 pm

mma_jd wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 pm
Irrelevant. There is no required to have X number of years or any employment at all! You are overthinking.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.