ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Of switching permits and timing.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

misaka
Newly Registered

Of switching permits and timing.

Post by misaka » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice regarding the switch-over to a work permit, which just got approved on Friday, on my current spousal-based visa which expires on the 28th of August (which, unfortunately, I don't have the option of renewing). Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a clear answer from my lawyer yet, nor have I managed to find anything useful online yet.

Basically, my concern is about the tight timing. I'm worried that I may need to fly back to Canada and get my clearance from the British consulate there before the 28th of August or risk having problems vis-a-vis my on-going employment. Can I technically be employed in the UK if I don't receive my entry clearance until after the 28th, when my current visa expires? Or do I need to fly back to Canada ASAP, get a medical and whatnot, and get my passport into the consulate there? Even if I manage to do that I can't be certain that the consulate will process me in time, can I?

My lawyer did mention that I should get my passport stamped immediately, even on Monday, but he wasn't clear about whether this has to be done in Canada or here in the UK.

Any help appreciated, cheers.