ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting your national passports back after being granted refugee status.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Solo4Life
European Union

Getting your national passports back after being granted refugee status.

Post by Solo4Life » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 pm

HO took my national passport when I applied for asylum and they retained it, along with my old expired passports. I do have a travel document but I need my national passport.
I want to apply for settlement under the 10 year long-residence rule and I can't apply without my old passports, which prove I have been in the UK for 10 continuous years and havent been absent for more than 540 days, no period of 180 or more days etc. Is there a way I can get my passports back? Or some alternative arrangement such as the HO contacting the relevant department for access to my passports?

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Getting your national passports back after being granted refugee status.

Post by London22 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Solo4Life wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 pm
HO took my national passport when I applied for asylum and they retained it, along with my old expired passports. I do have a travel document but I need my national passport.
I want to apply for settlement under the 10 year long-residence rule and I can't apply without my old passports, which prove I have been in the UK for 10 continuous years and havent been absent for more than 540 days, no period of 180 or more days etc. Is there a way I can get my passports back? Or some alternative arrangement such as the HO contacting the relevant department for access to my passports?
You can contact home office &ask to send you SAR subject access request which will tell about your history hence you will be able to apply with that as proof or alternatively ask them to send your passports which HO will send but ask first you to send them travel documents as a refugee can only keep national passport or travel documents.I want to make it clear for other refugees here as well that a refugee can actually keep national passport if the purpose of use is not travel as we know by keeping a national passport &travelling to home country without a compassionate reason under the current hostile environment in UK will get refugee status revoked.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Solo4Life wrote:

I want to apply for settlement under the 10 year long-residence rule and I can't apply without my old passports, which prove I have been in the UK for 10 continuous years and havent been absent for more than 540 days, no period of 180 or more days etc. Is there a way I can get my passports back?
ILR can't be obtained by merely residing for 10 years rather the legal residence must have continuously been maintained all times by applying in timely & by not breaching the conditions of relevant visas. Also liuk test and B1 English test must have been passed at the time of application for which passport is needed as well.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm

seagul wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm
Solo4Life wrote:

I want to apply for settlement under the 10 year long-residence rule and I can't apply without my old passports, which prove I have been in the UK for 10 continuous years and havent been absent for more than 540 days, no period of 180 or more days etc. Is there a way I can get my passports back?
ILR can't be obtained by merely residing for 10 years rather the legal residence must have continuously been maintained all times by applying in timely & by not breaching the conditions of relevant visas. Also liuk test and B1 English test must have been passed at the time of application for which passport is needed as well.
@ seagul, the user was advised of this specifically last year when they asked. They have failed to clarify if they have 10 years LAWFUL residence rather that simply "been in the UK for 10 years".

general-uk-immigration-forum/will-i-be- ... l#p1845443
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Solo4Life
European Union

Post by Solo4Life » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 am

London22 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm
Solo4Life wrote:
You can contact home office &ask to send you SAR subject access request which will tell about your history hence you will be able to apply with that as proof or alternatively ask them to send your passports which HO will send but ask first you to send them travel documents as a refugee can only keep national passport or travel documents.I want to make it clear for other refugees here as well that a refugee can actually keep national passport if the purpose of use is not travel as we know by keeping a national passport &travelling to home country without a compassionate reason under the current hostile environment in UK will get refugee status revoked.
Thank you for your concise and informative answer. It was very helpful. Just one thing, what does SAR specifically stand for?

Solo4Life
European Union

Post by Solo4Life » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm
seagul wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm
Solo4Life wrote:

@ seagul, the user was advised of this specifically last year when they asked. They have failed to clarify if they have 10 years LAWFUL residence rather that simply "been in the UK for 10 years".

general-uk-immigration-forum/will-i-be- ... l#p1845443
My stay should be considered legal:
Student visa 2010-2017 (3 different visas but all applied to before my previous visa expired, they were applications in the UK,i.e. applied to 'extend', I think i got one in Nov. 2017 when my previous visa expired on sep. but that is only because HO was considering my application, i had applied to extend in Aug. that should be fine right?)
Applied for asylum in June 2017 with my student visa expiring in Oct. that year, I was given an ARC card with permission to work, my application was accepted on December without any appeal and I was granted refugee status)
I have not been outside the UK for more than 540 days or any single period of more than 180 days
Do you think there is anything wrong?

Solo4Life
European Union

Post by Solo4Life » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:29 pm

Anyone?