ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accountant for Self Employed - LTR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sophielbw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Accountant for Self Employed - LTR

Post by sophielbw91 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Should I be using an accountant for every year that I hand in my tax return, or can I just use an accountant for the final year before I hand in?

Would rather not use one every year.

Many thanks,

Sophie

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Accountant for Self Employed - LTR

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:22 am

sophielbw91 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:05 pm
Should I be using an accountant for every year that I hand in my tax return, or can I just use an accountant for the final year before I hand in?

Would rather not use one every year.

Many thanks,

Sophie
There is no requirement to use an accountant for your self assessment
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sophielbw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophielbw91 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:37 am

Ah right - so just the accountant confirmation letter for the final year?

Thanks very much for your help!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:37 am

sophielbw91 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:37 am
Ah right - so just the accountant confirmation letter for the final year?

Thanks very much for your help!
No. Where did you get the idea of an accountant letter ??!
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sophielbw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophielbw91 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 pm

In the documents are as specified in paragraph 7 of Appendix FM-SE:

(bb) If the business is not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or who is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants;

Just to clarify this is for ILT after 5 years - sorry the title was misleading.

We also had to have an accountants letter for the first application - spouse visa LTR.

Thanks!

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Sophie,

Can I clarify, are you the sponsor and you OH is the person on the spouse visa, and you are now doing the application for the second 2.5 years needed before leave to remain is granted to your OH? Or has your OH done 5 years and now you are applying for leave to remain?

The reason I ask is that I am the sponsor for my OH spouse visa and I am self employed and had to get (at great expense) unaudited accounts done for the application. And in a couple of years, we will need to apply for her second 2.5 years visa extension, and so I am interested in this too, since if I am the sponsor, I might need to produce the same document again.

However, if my OH is earning enough, (which I think will certainly be the case) I don't think my income will be needed to be considered.

THO.

sophielbw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophielbw91 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi I am in exactly the same position.

I am the self employed sponsor for my OH.

Just been through the whole process with accountants proving I meet financial threshold for the first spouse visa application.

Since we've just finished the last financial year and we are handing tax in again; I wanted to know if we have to get the accountant to do the accounts each year for ILR visa.

I have been reading the guidance and think it might just be the final year (or the final two years depending on what you're relying on) that they take into account though.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm

My thought is that since you would only need to send in the 1 year of accounts for the extension application, you will only need to have the unaudited accounts done for that year, as they do not look at the other years. Maybe they are not needed for the second application at all?

I hope in our case my OH will keep her job (C19 etc) and be earning enough so I don't have to pay for something that tells the HO exactly what my accounts submitted to the IR say.

sophielbw91
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophielbw91 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Yes I think you’re right!
Wanted to ensure I was not stuffed at a later date!
Good luck with your OH job...Very tough to foresee, fingers crossed for you

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks Sophie,

Actually if she does lose the job now, then by the time she has to apply for the extension, she should have found another job.

Perhaps you OH will be earning more than the amount needed then and you won't need to get the accounts done either.

Good luck with the application. Do make sure you have provided everything you can, and if you want any help, or want to run a list of supporting documents you are using for the application just ask. Best to get it right first time as the HO do try to find any reason for a rejection.