ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to leave UK after quit job (work permit)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

london10
Newly Registered

How long to leave UK after quit job (work permit)

Post by london10 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:37 am

I have a work permit, and FLR expiring in 1 year, and am planning to quit my job next month and leave the UK.

How long do I have to pack my stuff and leave, after I stopped working?

How long does my FLR allow me in the UK, after stop working, without having to leave and re-enter as a tourist?

Thanks

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:51 am

The endorsement in your passport tells you how long you can stay in the UK. You are not breaking any law by staying until that date.

What you can't do is get another job with a different employer. But if you're staying here just to have a holiday, that's no problem.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 am

The endorsement in your passport tells you how long you can stay in the UK. You are not breaking any law by staying until that date.
Unless after you leaving your current job your employer informs BIA to cancel the work permit, and as such BIA curtails your curent leave to remain in the UK, in which case I believe you will have 28 days to a) search for a new job, get one, get you employer to apply for a new work permit, and then apply for further leave to remain, b) you yourself apply for Tier1, c) leave the country.

All the above options are ofcourse to keep your status legal.

Am sure co-members of the board will provide more info.

london10
Newly Registered

Post by london10 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 am

dnicky wrote:
Unless after you leaving your current job your employer informs BIA to cancel the work permit, and as such BIA curtails your curent leave to remain in the UK, in which case I believe you will have 28 days to a) search for a new job, get one, get you employer to apply for a new work permit, and then apply for further leave to remain, b) you yourself apply for Tier1, c) leave the country.

Thank you for the very prompt and useful reply.
I am not intested in getting another job. I am just planning my move back, and I estimate it will take around 1.5 months rather than 28 days to sort everything out (flat, bills, direct debits etc). I can always go to France and re-enter as a tourist if I have to, but I am trying to avoid this hassle if I can.

So my final question is, if the employer notifies the BIA and they decide to curtail my stay, will I be told that it is the case and that I have 28 days?
Is it safe to assume that I can stay until I hear otherwise?
[for info, my passport FLR sticker expires in 1 year]

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 am

london10 wrote:
dnicky wrote:

Thank you for the very prompt and useful reply.
I am not intested in getting another job. I am just planning my move back, and I estimate it will take around 1.5 months rather than 28 days to sort everything out (flat, bills, direct debits etc). I can always go to France and re-enter as a tourist if I have to, but I am trying to avoid this hassle if I can.

So my final question is, if the employer notifies the BIA and they decide to curtail my stay, will I be told that it is the case and that I have 28 days?
Is it safe to assume that I can stay until I hear otherwise?
[for info, my passport FLR sticker expires in 1 year]
By the time the employer tells the HO and then the HO processes the curtailment, you will have left by that time.
What happened at the job? If you are quitting and the employer has sour grapes that will effect the timing.

london10
Newly Registered

Post by london10 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:47 am

republique wrote: By the time the employer tells the HO and then the HO processes the curtailment, you will have left by that time.
What happened at the job? If you are quitting and the employer has sour grapes that will effect the timing.
No employer is fine with it, I am moving back home for family reasons and they are ok about it, plus I gave them plenty of notice. They might still notify BIA though, since they are a big employer and want to do things by the book, this is why I asked. Thanks everyone!