ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Out of country / unrestricted COS application: can I start working before the actual visa is issued?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Out of country / unrestricted COS application: can I start working before the actual visa is issued?

Post by viv197 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi All

Current situation:

- US citizen
- Offer of employment received from UK employer
- Unrestricted COS issued
- Currently in the UK with a "visitor" visa as I was here on business and I stayed due to coronavirus lockdown, but I could try and fly back to US if absolutely necessary to apply for the Tier 2 Visa.

Question:

If I fly home, apply for the Tier 2 visa and pay fees, I understand I will receive immediately a Unique Application Number which I have to communicate to my sponsor (new employer). Is the COS and the Unique Application ID sufficient for me to fly to the UK and start working? Will there be any issue at the border to board the plane or on arrival at Heathrow?

The reason I ask is because in the COVID-19 guidance it says that if you already have a UK visa than needs switch or extension you can start with only the COS and Unique Application number even if your biometrics and photo have been taken and financial decision has been made.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Out of country / unrestricted COS application: can I start working before the actual visa is issued?

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:05 pm

You need a RESTRICTED CoS. Unrestricted CoS is for those already in the UK changing Tier 2 sponsors.
Is the COS and the Unique Application ID sufficient for me to fly to the UK and start working? Will there be any issue at the border to board the plane or on arrival at Heathrow?
No it not sufficient. You need the actual visa. Simply arriving means you are admitted as visitor and are not permitted to work.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Re: Out of country / unrestricted COS application: can I start working before the actual visa is issued?

Post by viv197 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I may have missed something but it thought that cos can be unrestricted if the job is in labour shortage or annual income for the job will be more than 160k gbp?

In this instance since I'm already in the UK (on a visitor visa) would it be worth it asking UKVI if I can apply from here due to exceptional circumstances? Would I be able to start work with the COS and visa application?

Thanks.

lindabassir
Newly Registered
Mood:
Morocco

Post by lindabassir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi,

From what I understand from guidances, the Ultra High earners / the ones whose jobs are on the shortage list are assigned Restricted CoS and pass the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) easily due to the additional points that they get from the salary and soc code.

Good luck and please keep us updates