ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents and ESOl issue with wife's ILR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rashid786
Newly Registered

Documents and ESOl issue with wife's ILR

Post by Rashid786 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi There,

First of a big thank you to the moderators and contributors for such an informative and helpful site.

My wife's spouse visa is due to expire soon, and I am collecting documents to support her application. However, her application is not as straight forward as I first thought, and was wondering if someone can shed light on the following issues:

1) ESOl requirements - my wife's English is not at Entry 3, hence she took an ESOl with Citizenship course at the local college.

However I've recently found out that they actually put her on a pre-entry level/beginners course (accredited by Trinity College), which still included citizenship materials. Would this be sufficient or must she take the Entry 1 course?

2) 20 documents (now 6 documents as of 08/08/2008) - We have some documents but they do not cover the full two years.

I and my spouse both live with my parents, hence our options are limited as the bills are in their name. Some documents were also victims of my shredder. Do you think explaining this in a letter would be helpful?

3) Student finance - I work part-time and also go to university and get a maintenance grant for this. However I also get an adult dependant's grant as my wife is dependant on me.

Would this have a negative impact on my application? As far as I am aware, it is not classed as public funds.

I am minded to go for FLR, but part of me also wants to chance it and go for ILR.

Thanks for the help!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Regarding ESOL, has your wife been issued with a certificate? My husband is currently studying ESOL with Citizens content, and understands that he needs to progress from one level to the next, counting from Level 1. i.e not pre-entry. (it could also be level 2 to level 3). However, the colleges (even state owned) know little about the requirements, which is why there is so much confusion. If this proves not to be sufficient for ILR application, apply for FLR which will give a further 2 year visa.
Don't you have 6 documents showing you living at the same address over the 2 years?
The instruction to checking officers is that ILR shouldn't be refused on financial grounds alone. The education grant isn't on the list of Public Funds