ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for the first British passport after naturalisation - documents needed

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bubamala
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applying for the first British passport after naturalisation - documents needed

Post by bubamala » Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to find more information about the documents that need to be submitted when applying for the first British passport after naturalisation process. I found on the official website that one needs to submit naturalisation certificate along with "the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on".
I came to the UK on my old (now expired) passport. When I was applying for the naturalisation I have submitted my old and current passports as well as national identity card (of the EU country I am from). I have retained my old citizenship. Do I need to submit my current EU passport when applying for British one or can I submit the old one (i.e. the one I used to first enter UK) and/or national identity card. I would prefer not to send my current EU passport if not needed.

Any info much appreciated!

secret.simon

Re: Applying for the first British passport after naturalisation - documents needed

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Current and all previous uncancelled (including expired but not cancelled) passports. ID card not required.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bubamala
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for the first British passport after naturalisation - documents needed

Post by bubamala » Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Just to clarify - although as EU citizen I could obtain naturalisation using my valid national identity card and not passport (I have submitted both though), for the purpose of the British passport application, I need to have a valid current EU passport?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 12, 2020 9:09 pm

bubamala wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 pm
Just to clarify - although as EU citizen I could obtain naturalisation using my valid national identity card and not passport (I have submitted both though), for the purpose of the British passport application, I need to have a valid current EU passport?
If you don't have a national passport, you are not required to obtain one to submit.
But if you do (or did, in case of expired) have a national passport, you are required to submit it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Stefan Piatek
Poland

Post by Stefan Piatek » Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Current and all previous uncancelled (including expired but not cancelled) passports. ID card not required.
NO current and all previous [...].
Current OR the passport you used to come into the UK.

from https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply
What documents you need depend on your circumstances.

You have a certificate of naturalisation or registration
You’ll need both:

- your naturalisation or registration certificate
- the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on