ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should we wait on the EU Settlement Scheme Changes?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gopher25
Newly Registered

Should we wait on the EU Settlement Scheme Changes?

Post by Gopher25 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:38 am

Hi,

So i was born in N.Ireland and my wife is from the USA. With the recent rules changes we can now use the EU Settlement Scheme and get pre-settled status for her that way.
The only issue i am struggling with is that her current residence card expires on the 23/08/20 and the changes to the EU Settlement Scheme starts on the 24/08/20 ( I believe). Could we let the Residence card lapse and go the EU Settlement Route without any repercussions?

It would be great not having to apply for FLR(M) and save us the £2000+ and the stress of making sure all the documentation is correct.

Cheers
Niall

admin1
Newly Registered
Spain

Re: Should we wait on the EU Settlement Scheme Changes?

Post by admin1 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Gopher25 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:38 am
Hi,

So i was born in N.Ireland and my wife is from the USA. With the recent rules changes we can now use the EU Settlement Scheme and get pre-settled status for her that way.
The only issue i am struggling with is that her current residence card expires on the 23/08/20 and the changes to the EU Settlement Scheme starts on the 24/08/20 ( I believe). Could we let the Residence card lapse and go the EU Settlement Route without any repercussions?

It would be great not having to apply for FLR(M) and save us the £2000+ and the stress of making sure all the documentation is correct.

Cheers
Niall
Hi, i believe she can apply through the eu settlement scheme without any problem. you can apply for your own aswell if not necessary because you're from N.Ireland and link your the application number to hers when you are applying this way you dont need to sent your passport to verify. when she will apply through the app she can use the residence card she holds at the moment. and upload your marriage certificate.
and what is the changes on eu settlement scheme ?

Gopher25
Newly Registered

Post by Gopher25 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am

admin1 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Hi, i believe she can apply through the eu settlement scheme without any problem. you can apply for your own aswell if not necessary because you're from N.Ireland and link your the application number to hers when you are applying this way you dont need to sent your passport to verify. when she will apply through the app she can use the residence card she holds at the moment. and upload your marriage certificate.
and what is the changes on eu settlement scheme ?
The change only affects people born in N.Ireland. We have the right to dual citizenship (British and Irish) but the UK government had until recently only considers us British first and then Irish.
We can now (as of the 24/08/20) exercise our rights as Irish citizens and use the EU Settlement Scheme for our non-EU family members. Previously we'd have to renounce our British Citizenship to do so.

Br28016
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Br28016 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Suggest having a read of link below.

eea-route-applications/anxious-regardin ... 02290.html

I was quite surprised at result and from details expected him to be rejected and have to reapply after 24th August. May be worth considering applying now rather than wait until 24th August.