ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I marry my Irish fiance?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

How do I marry my Irish fiance?

Post by pauliesgirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 am

I'm so confused and I keep going around in circles. Im a US citizen and I want to marry my Irish citizen fiance. I know we have to notify the registrar 3 months in advance but is this the way to go since I'm abroad and not an Irish citizen? I don't have a PPS number which is required in the application so I'm really confused. Also, how do I get residency so I can live with my soon to be husband? We want to have a civil wedding in Ireland and live in Ireland. I really can't bare being split up from him again? Any sites or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

zuz
Newly Registered

marriage

Post by zuz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 am

Hi pauliesgirl.
you can marry here in Ireland (as we did). need to notify registrar 3 months before wedding date but they are busy so you can be waiting longer for your wedding day. then they will confirm it by letter sent to you and invite you for interview. No need for PPS number (my non-eu husband did not have as well). all you need is passport or driving licence and proof of addres (bill). after marriage you can aply for EU1.Then you go with slip to garda and register yourself.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:43 am

I think you'll need to use the Irish domestic immigration law unless you have lived together in another EU country, in which case you may be able to use EU1.

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 am

You could think about getting married in another EU country.
Some of them have peculiar laws, but a 3 month wait is plain ridiculous, often a notice must be displayed at the town hall for a week or 2.
Google it, there are companies that organise it all for you as a package, just like going on holiday.
Most of them will issue a multilingual EU standard certificate, which will save countless translation hassles in the future.
I suppose some people would also consider that getting married somewhere like france, spain , italy, etc. is a little more "romantic" than the registry office in pearse street, too.