ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family PErmit for Belgium

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PAVA10

EEA Family PErmit for Belgium

Post by PAVA10 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:22 pm

I am Irish and my wife is Peruvian and we both live in the UK. My wife came to the UK with an EEA Family permit and now holds a UK Residence card. She has been living in the UK for 1 year now.

It is possible that I will be offered a job in Belgium.

Is it relatively easy / quick for my wife to now re-apply for a Belgium issued Familt Permit?

Where does she need to apply from? If I move to Belgium before her she technically no longer has a right to stay in the UK as I will no longer be exercising my treaty rights there. Does she need to return to PEru or can she join me on a schengen visit visa and then apply in Belgium for the family permit?

Does anybody have any experience of dealing with the Belgium Foreign Office in such matters?

Thanks in advance

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:29 pm

I have looked at the website for the Belgian Embassy in London, hoping to find something useful, but whilst it mentions Schengen visas, it does not really assist with anything else.

I think you should contact the Embassy after the Bank Holiday and ask them which form should be completed. I don't think a Schengen visa is appropriate, because that would only allow a stay of up to 90 days.

But under EU regulations there is a right for your wife to go to Belgium. Given that you are in the UK already exercising EU Treaty Rights, it could be the case that Belgium accepts that your wife can enter Belgium on her UK-issued Residence Card, and then register once she is there, but lets not just assume that is OK to do.

I think one thing that is certain is that she will not need to go back to Peru to make an application. Also, don't think that other EU countries use the term EEA Family Permit, because I don't think there do.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Have you checked how easy (or hard) it will be for her to get Belgian citizenship. She will not be eligible for British citizenship if she leaves the U.K.