ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a Long Stay Visa once in France?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ozkelbel79
Newly Registered

Applying for a Long Stay Visa once in France?

Post by ozkelbel79 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 am

I'm in the process of applying for a Long Stay Visa Without Work for myself and two sons in France, at the French consulate in Sydney Australia. I'm becoming quite impatient with the whole process, I've been told it will take at least 3 more mths to process for stays longer than 6 mths.
My defacto partner is already in France, he went over on a tourist visa and is in the process of applying for a employment visa, apparently his employer said he can apply once he's there.
Since his visa will take another month or so, it's delaying mine and the kids applications, as he is our "financial guarantor"in France.
His employer has suggested that we do the same, just go over on a tourist visa and apply for a long stay once we are there, but everything i've read says you must apply before you enter France, so I am not 100% comfortable with that idea. Does anyone know how that works or done it this way themselves? And because I've already applied and paid here, would it jeopardise my chances if I went on a tourist visa and applied in France? Also, would my child be able to enrol in school on a tourist visa? Everything i've read on enrolling foreign children in schools, there is no mention on showing proof of passport or visa, only birth certificate and some other papers which i have.
If I wait for my partner to get his visa, then go back into the consulate with the rest of my documents, I was told that they would process it in 3 weeks if i stay less than 6 mths. But isnt a residency card valid for one year in all cases, once you apply at the local mairie?
Any help, suggestions or advice is much appreciated!

BiG-GuNs
Newly Registered

Post by BiG-GuNs » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 am

hello - completely unrelated, how fluent is your French?

I'm an Australian too and speak gypsy French and was wondering how difficult it would be to obtain employment? I'm a banker with nab and can only assume without fluent French, I'm doomed...

Sorry to hi-jack your thread...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Yeah, the French are complete arseholes about their language, I dunno why cos it's not a particularly difficult or interesting one from a linguistic POV.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

miele
Newly Registered

lanuage

Post by miele » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Wanderer wrote:Yeah, the French are complete arseholes about their language, I dunno why cos it's not a particularly difficult or interesting one from a linguistic POV.
Please mind you language, I am part French.

thanks

miele :x

gani999

Re: Applying for a Long Stay Visa once in France?

Post by gani999 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:11 pm

ozkelbel79 wrote:I'm in the process of applying for a Long Stay Visa Without Work for myself and two sons in France, at the French consulate in Sydney Australia. I'm becoming quite impatient with the whole process, I've been told it will take at least 3 more mths to process for stays longer than 6 mths.
My defacto partner is already in France, he went over on a tourist visa and is in the process of applying for a employment visa, apparently his employer said he can apply once he's there.
Since his visa will take another month or so, it's delaying mine and the kids applications, as he is our "financial guarantor"in France.
His employer has suggested that we do the same, just go over on a tourist visa and apply for a long stay once we are there, but everything i've read says you must apply before you enter France, so I am not 100% comfortable with that idea. Does anyone know how that works or done it this way themselves? And because I've already applied and paid here, would it jeopardise my chances if I went on a tourist visa and applied in France? Also, would my child be able to enrol in school on a tourist visa? Everything i've read on enrolling foreign children in schools, there is no mention on showing proof of passport or visa, only birth certificate and some other papers which i have.
If I wait for my partner to get his visa, then go back into the consulate with the rest of my documents, I was told that they would process it in 3 weeks if i stay less than 6 mths. But isnt a residency card valid for one year in all cases, once you apply at the local mairie?
Your partner is Australian, I suppose, or has a nationality which requires an entry visa into France even for stays less than three months.

If so, I believe he has commited a blunder by entering France on a tourist visa and then changing his visa type while being there. Schenegan countries do not take kindly to people who try to change visa types once they enter the respective country, and people attempting to change tourist visas to longer stay ones are the worst suspects.

Trust me, I know people who got deported while trying to do this.

Whatever your partner's employers say (I presume they don't know the immigration law, which is quite usual amongst employers who don't hire non-EU foreigners), your partner (and you) will be better off if he asks his employers to apply for a Protocol d'accueil (for which they will first have to be eligible to do so), returns to Australia and applies for a long stay visa at the French consulate on the basis of his job contract and Protocol d' accueil. If he does this, his (and your) visa will be issued the same day.

Hope this helps

gani999

Post by gani999 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm

ozkelbel79 wrote:I'm in the process of applying for a Long Stay Visa Without Work for myself and two sons in France, at the French consulate in Sydney Australia. I'm becoming quite impatient with the whole process, I've been told it will take at least 3 more mths to process for stays longer than 6 mths.
Your partner is Australian, I suppose, or has a nationality which requires an entry visa into France even for stays less than three months.

If so, I believe he has commited a blunder by entering France on a tourist visa and then changing his visa type while being there. Schenegan countries do not take kindly to people who try to change visa types once they enter the respective country, and people attempting to change tourist visas to longer stay ones are the worst suspects.

Whatever your partner's employers say (I presume they don't know the immigration law, which is quite usual amongst employers who don't hire non-EU foreigners), your partner (and you) will be better off if he asks his employers to apply for a Protocol d'accueil (for which they will first have to be eligible to do so), returns to Australia and applies for a long stay visa at the French consulate on the basis of his job contract and Protocol d' accueil. If he does this, his (and your) visa will be issued the same day.

Hope this helps

gani999

Post by gani999 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Hope this helps