ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University Residency Tuition Date & Corona

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKBelle
Newly Registered
United States of America

University Residency Tuition Date & Corona

Post by UKBelle » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi,

We are applying for ILR on 4/8/20 through our solicitors. We have 2 boys starting university in September. To be considered as resident for tuition, we need to have our ILR by 1/9/20. Otherwise, they will have to pay international rates.

Pre-pandemic, getting ILR in time wasn't a problem with super priority. Now it seems there is no way it's going to happen.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Has anyone had a school agree to residency tuition without ILR because of the pandemic?

TIA :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: University Residency Tuition Date & Corona

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Until they are granted ilr and have evidence of ilr, they won't be considered home fee students.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ben2019
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ben2019 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Until they are granted ilr and have evidence of ilr, they won't be considered home fee students.
Hi CR001, I have a relevant question. I am applying for 2021 university entry and will be qualified for ILR later this year. Because of the covid, I may not get the ILR before university application deadline, but can surely get it before the course starts next year. Will this be an issue? Thanks.

@UKBelle, when your sons applied last year in UCAS, did you put them as home students in the system? Thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:15 am

UKBelle wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 pm
Has anyone had a school agree to residency tuition without ILR because of the pandemic?
That is not for the school to agree to. Home and International fee status is set out by government regulations, not by individual schools.

Have your children lived in the UK for the past seven years? They could qualify under the Long Residence category, rather than via their ILR.

Alternatively, they and you should consider taking a gap year and apply for courses next year.

@ben2019, the requirements for residence and status are to be met on the first day of the first academic year of the course. You should be fine.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

UKBelle
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by UKBelle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 am

ben2019 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:56 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Hi CR001, I have a relevant question. I am applying for 2021 university entry and will be qualified for ILR later this year. Because of the covid, I may not get the ILR before university application deadline, but can surely get it before the course starts next year. Will this be an issue? Thanks.

@UKBelle, when your sons applied last year in UCAS, did you put them as home students in the system? Thanks.
Per instruction by the universities, we put what they are now, which is international. As of right now, as long as we have ILR by 9/1/20, they will change them to resident.