ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Taking on full time permanent role after study period for tier 4 visa (without sponsorship)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Applepie9
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Taking on full time permanent role after study period for tier 4 visa (without sponsorship)

Post by Applepie9 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi,

So I got a job offer for a full time permanent role (with no sponsorship) that starts on mid September, but I currently only have a tier 4 visa that expires on March 2021. I am a Masters student and my course ends Sept 2020
As I understand, tier 4 visa do not allow me to take on full time permanent role.

As I will be eligible to apply for the 'British Nationals (Overseas) in Hong Kong' in Jan 2021, this means there is a 4 months gap to have the 'right to work' if I am understanding the rules correctly.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/british-nat ... -hong-kong

Is there any way for me to fill that 4 months gap so I can work legally during that gap period?

For example, is it possible for me to ask the employer to change the contract from 'permanent role' to an intership so instead so I can work as an intern till Jan2021, and after that I can take on permanent role so that I will be able to work legally throughout?

Thanks in advance

Applepie9
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: Taking on full time permanent role after study period for tier 4 visa (without sponsorship)

Post by Applepie9 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm

So I called the right to work hotline I got from gov.uk
I called twice (as my line got cut off one of the time), but the 2 people I talked to seemed to have different advice on my situation.

One of them told me that I can take on a permanent role as long as the right to work check is re-done after I obtain my new visa (on Jan 2021).
While the other advised me to get a temporary contract for now and switch to permanent afterwards. (but unfortunately the company that offered me the work told me they won't be able to do so) I asked the second person if I were to take permanent role now (and re do right to work check after enw visa), would it be breaking the law, but he's hesistant to say that it is breaking the rules. But I think they can't give legal advice so that may be why they keep it vague when I was asking them explicitly.

Can I get some advice on if it is possible for me to take on permanent role (as the 1st person suggested?)