ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK Test Proof of Address

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amstev
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 2 to ILR / Absences and P45 Error

Post by amstev » Mon May 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi all, I am preparing to apply for ILR after 5 years on a Tier 2 Visa and I noticed an error that could affect the application. During my time on the Tier 2 I switched employers in 2018. Between leaving my previous company and joining my new company I traveled home internationally. The travel took place after the visa from my new sponsor was issued and I was using prearranged annual leave from my previous employer to travel which would have me arriving back in the UK on 15th October 2018 after a 14-day trip. I had agreed with my previous employer that my final day of employment would be 16th October 2018 (which accounted for my outstanding annual leave) and I would begin my new role on 22nd October at my new company.

The issue that arose is that the P45 my previous company sent me about three weeks after I left stated my leaving date as 12th October while I was still traveling and not 16th October as agreed. This didn't affect anything at the time and my final paycheck was for the correct amount of money, however, I am now learning about the letters required from previous employers to certify absences as annual leave and this could cause a discrepancy as the dates would not align with annual leave if I was no longer with the company per the P45.

My question is whether this would ultimately matter in terms of an ILR application?

Thanks for any help!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 to ILR / Absences and P45 Error

Post by zimba » Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Minor issue. Does not matter
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

amstev
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Tier 2 to ILR / Absences and P45 Error

Post by amstev » Tue May 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks!

amstev
Newly Registered
United States of America

Life in the UK Test Proof of Address

Post by amstev » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Is it still required to bring proof of address for the test? It doesn't seem to list this on the government website, just an ID: https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... ppens-test

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Life in the UK Test Proof of Address

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:50 pm

amstev wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 pm
Is it still required to bring proof of address for the test? It doesn't seem to list this on the government website, just an ID: https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... ppens-test
It does.

https://www.lituktestbooking.co.uk/lituk-web/
To book your test you will need:
Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). If you do not have a valid BRP, you can use your passport. Other acceptable forms of photo ID
Details of your address and postcode
A debit or credit card
Your email address
Details of any special requests you have
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

amstev
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amstev » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks, this still doesn't seem clear to me as it doesn't actually tell you to bring specific documents for your test.

That said I don't really have anything physical given this is 2020 - to confirm an original bank statement sent through the mail (without a stamp from the bank) is okay. Would a current council tax bill that is more than three months old be valid?

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:03 am

amstev wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 pm
I took my test back in Sep 2018. The confirmation email I received clearly stated to bring a proof of address. The proof of address was checked and matched with my ID also. I am not sure about the recent changes if any.

However, recent applicants who took the test will be able to confirm this. I recall one member posted that his proof of address was not checked.

Anyways, once you receive a confirmation email, it will list the documents you need to carry.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 am

Do you have a UK driving license? If so, that should be enough along with your BRP/passport.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:07 am

I took my test last June and did not carry an address proof as this was not in the list.
All they wanted was the BRP which I'd used as my primary ID.
If you're too worried, no harm in carrying one
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

amstev
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amstev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 am

So I have just registered for the test via the government website and it still does not ask for any proof of address, even in the confirmation email. I suppose I will bring my current council tax bill (dated in March 2020), but it seems I won't need it. I don't have a UK Driver's Licence.

The email only states:

What you must bring to your test

If you do not bring these, you will not be able to take your test.

The photo ID which you registered with.
You registered with a

Biometric Residence Permit
(BRP)

Please note that if you change your method of ID between registering and taking the test, you will not be sent a further booking confirmation email. You will need to log back into your account to view the new method of ID you have selected and you must bring the new ID with you to the test.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 am

I believe the ID requirements have been updated since I took my test back in Sep 2018.

If the email confirmation does not ask for it, no need to carry or worry about it. Its simply not needed then.

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:21 am

I took my test with my wife in July and we both carried only our BRP cards. Just ensure this is the same ID as mentioned at the time of registering. There is absolutely no need for any other document. Good luck with your test
quote=amstev post_id=1923222 time=1597310701 user_id=214679]
So I have just registered for the test via the government website and it still does not ask for any proof of address, even in the confirmation email. I suppose I will bring my current council tax bill (dated in March 2020), but it seems I won't need it. I don't have a UK Driver's Licence.

The email only states:

What you must bring to your test

If you do not bring these, you will not be able to take your test.

The photo ID which you registered with.
You registered with a

Biometric Residence Permit
(BRP)

Please note that if you change your method of ID between registering and taking the test, you will not be sent a further booking confirmation email. You will need to log back into your account to view the new method of ID you have selected and you must bring the new ID with you to the test.

[/quote]