ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 Year Visitor Visa- Length of Stay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imwannabe
Newly Registered

10 Year Visitor Visa- Length of Stay

Post by imwannabe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 am

My father has a 10 year UK visitor visa, valid till 2026. Over the last 4 years he has only stayed in UK between 3-5 months every year in total. Last year (2019) he left UK in December.

He is coming to the UK again at the end of August and will be staying till Feb 2021. So roughly 5 months. After that the plan is for him to come in May 2021 again for a couple of months. And then again In December 2021.

So if I take this full year (2020) he would be in UK for 4 months. And if I take next full year (2021), plan is for him to be in the UK for just under 6 months. However if I take the period from Aug 2020 to August 2021 his total time in UK would be more than 6 months (roughly 8 months).

I just wanted to check if this would be OK? I am not sure whether they measure the time every year or any given one year period. I just want to ensure that at the time of his Visa renewal in 2026 there are no issues. Thats why we want to keep his stay every year to not more than 6 months.

Thanks a lot

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 10 Year Visitor Visa- Length of Stay

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:17 am

He cannot be spending more time in the UK in ANY 12 month period than he does in his home country.

If the IO on arrival notices this and suspects that he is using a visitor visa to effectively 'reside' in the UK through frequent visits, his visa could be cancelled and he will be put on the next plane back home. Future visitor visas might then be difficult to obtain.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: 10 Year Visitor Visa- Length of Stay

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:12 pm

imwannabe wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 am
My father has a 10 year UK visitor visa, valid till 2026. Over the last 4 years he has only stayed in UK between 3-5 months every year in total. Last year (2019) he left UK in December.

He is coming to the UK again at the end of August and will be staying till Feb 2021. So roughly 5 months. After that the plan is for him to come in May 2021 again for a couple of months. And then again In December 2021.

So if I take this full year (2020) he would be in UK for 4 months. And if I take next full year (2021), plan is for him to be in the UK for just under 6 months. However if I take the period from Aug 2020 to August 2021 his total time in UK would be more than 6 months (roughly 8 months).

I just wanted to check if this would be OK? I am not sure whether they measure the time every year or any given one year period. I just want to ensure that at the time of his Visa renewal in 2026 there are no issues. Thats why we want to keep his stay every year to not more than 6 months.

Thanks a lot
With what you have stated, if you have kept the duration of his stay below 6 months in a year may be OK. However, is.are there services he is using while around e.g. NHS and bill being settled as required so as not to fall foul of the visa conditions.