ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp4EUFAM Next Steps

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

revtru
Newly Registered
Ireland

Stamp4EUFAM Next Steps

Post by revtru » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi
I can't seem to find the answer to this on the board and hoping someone can help.
My Stamp4EUFam is due to expire at the end of September. I have been in Ireland 5 years in March 2020 and I know at the time I should have applied for permanent residency/citizenship but the last few months have been tough with COVID, a new baby etc and we just didn't prioritise getting the application sent off. So I am now 3-4 weeks before my visa is due to expire and I don't know what is the best steps to take
(1) renew online my Stamp4 EUFAM (I read you can do this up to 2 weeks before it is due to expire so that should be ok?)
(2) work on the permanent residency or citizenship application now and get all the paper work together and send off asap. Is that even possible 2-3 weeks before my visa is due to expire? Will I end up having a gap or so long as the office has received my application that is ok?

If I am to go option 2 instead of 1 should I apply for permanent residency (EU3) or just go direct for citizenship?
I know this is really last minute but I want to avoid any gap if possible !

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Stamp4EUFAM Next Steps

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm

The Stamp 4EUFAM cannot be renewed. You MUST apply for EU3 six months before it expires. You cannot apply for citizenship either before you get your EU3.

You are lucky in that there is a temporary measure at the moment due to the closure of INIS/Garda registration offices. You may be able to get a temporary renewal of Stamp 4EUFAM for a few months, provided that you submit your EU3 application in the next 3 weeks. The deadline for this is 20 September. You should contact Burgh Quay or your local Garda station to get a renewal once your application is submitted.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm
The Stamp 4EUFAM cannot be renewed. You MUST apply for EU3 six months before it expires. You cannot apply for citizenship either before you get your EU3.

A person do not need an EU3 to apply for citizenship. They simply need 5 years reconnable residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 pm
littlerr wrote:

A person do not need an EU3 to apply for citizenship. They simply need 5 years reconnable residence.
I was answering the OP's question. You answer would have misguided him.
The OP must apply for the EU3 first so that he continues to have a legal permission to reside in Ireland, before he can submits his citizenship application. The earliest day he can do that is the 1 day after the 5 years point. If he does not apply for EU3, he will not have a legal status on that day.

revtru
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by revtru » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks for your replies
Can I submit the application for EU3 and citizenship at the same time? (As I imagine most of the documents/evidence required will be the same?) or should they be separate applications?

As soon as the application is sent in the post should I contact Burgh Quay (I'm in Dublin) to ask for the extension or do I have to wait to get my documents sent back first? Should I book an appointment to do the extension already for a date prior to the the expiration of my visa? What if I don't have my passport and documents back by then ?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:36 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:06 pm
Obie wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 pm
littlerr wrote:

I was answering the OP's question. You answer would have misguided him.
The OP must apply for the EU3 first so that he continues to have a legal permission to reside in Ireland, before he can submits his citizenship application. The earliest day he can do that is the 1 day after the 5 years point. If he does not apply for EU3, he will not have a legal status on that day.
No i am not misleading anyone. I dont recall ever doing so.

I have nothing against you or seeking to discredit you, but as a moderator, i have a duty to correct or clarify matters.
In my experience by the time most people reach the stage of EEA 3, they have accrued 5 years reconnable residence.
During the EEA 1 process, they are sometimes given 6-12months Temporary stamp 4, and then the 5 years EU 1.

So by the time they apply for EEA3, i am of the view that nearly 100% would have held 5 years reconnable residence.

I agree that an application must be made for renewal, however it is not right that his ability to lodge an application for citizenship is dependent on having EEA 3.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

tugii20
Ireland

Post by tugii20 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 pm

littlerr wrote:

You are lucky in that there is a temporary measure at the moment due to the closure of INIS/Garda registration offices. You may be able to get a temporary renewal of Stamp 4EUFAM for a few months, provided that you submit your EU3 application in the next 3 weeks. The deadline for this is 20 September. You should contact Burgh Quay or your local Garda station to get a renewal once your application is submitted.
i am just trying to correct myself,why person cannot apply for citizenship after living legally in ireland 5 years?
where did you get information?
Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:01 am

tugii20 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 pm
i am just trying to correct myself,why person cannot apply for citizenship after living legally in ireland 5 years?
where did you get information?
Thanks
That is not what I said.

I said practically you cannot apply for the citizenship application without applying for EU3. The chance that you get a citizenship approval before your EU1 expires is near to zero.

A normal person who came to Ireland joining their EU spouse would get a 6-month temporary stamp, followed by a 5-year EU1. An EU3 application should be made 6 months before the EU1 ends.

The citizenship application requires the applicant to be in the state for at least 5 years. This means, the earliest day that you can apply for the citizenship application should be around the same time as you apply for EU3.

The citizenship application currently takes a minimum of 12 months to process. This means, if the applicant does not apply for EU3 in time, there is virtually no chance that the applicant would receive a citizenship approval by the time their their EU1 expires.

In reality, citizenship applications based on EUTR would take more time on average to process. I don’t know why, but I have not seen one single person who got citizenship approval before their EU3 application is approved.

Of course, if the person has already got a different status (e.g. Stamp 1) before they got EU1, that’s a different story. However, I have not seen any case like this.