ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR- Long Residence: Application queries

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

user5
Pakistan

Tier 4 to ILR- Long residence

Post by user5 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 am

Hi,

I have been finding some confusing information regarding ILR on different websites.

I just want to confirm if it is possible to apply for ILR under long residence (10 year) while holding a Tier 4 student visa.

Provided all the other requirements (continuous residence, absences etc. are met.) of course.

Thank you :)

poper
Diamond Member
India

Re: Tier 4 to ILR- Long residence

Post by poper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 am

Yes, all visas count towards ILR Long Residence
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you!

Also, can I take the life in the UK test before the 10 years are completed?

And if my 10 years are completed in October can I still make my application up to 28 days in advance even if I am applying using the priority/ premium service? (Provided that the option becomes available again).

Thank you! :D Sorry, I’m not sure if these questions should have been posted in a different section.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am

Also, can I take the life in the UK test before the 10 years are completed?

You can do the test at any time. It does not expire.
And if my 10 years are completed in October can I still make my application up to 28 days in advance even if I am applying using the priority/ premium service? (Provided that the option becomes available again).
You can apply no sooner than within 28 days before the 10th anniversary of the date you entered the UK. This is the same regardless of standard service or super priority service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:51 am

Thank you so much for the answers :D

user5
Pakistan

ILR- Long Residence: Application queries

Post by user5 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding completing the application for ILR based on 10 year long residence. I’m sorry for the number of questions! I just want to ensure I don’t overlook anything.
It would be great if I can have advice and guidance on the following.

1. Is the correct form to complete the SET LR form?
2. The application asks “how long have you lived in the UK”. I have lived in the UK since 2006 but was out of the country for a period of 7 months in 2010. Therefore my application is based on time period spend in UK since October 2010. For the purpose of this question do I state time spend in the UK since 2006? I.e 13 years and 11 months?
3. “Date you first entered the UK”. I’m guessing this will be the date in October 2010 that I wish my 10 year period to start from?
4. “What type of contact do you have with family in country of birth etc.” after listing family names do I have to state that I have contact with them via phone? My main contact is whatsapping etc.
5. “Explain why you have no friends in country of birth etc”. This section has a limit of 500 characters. However, my country of birth and country of nationality are different. I have also spent more than 5 years in yet another country. It’s quite hard to explain in 500 characters... any ideas on how to get around this? Do I really condense info or is it possible to attach a longer answer?
6. ‘Have you had to prove your English skills’ ‘provide details’. I have had a few student visas and assume proof of knowledge of English was required for the application. However, I cannot recall which one was the first I proved it for. From my recollection I never had the prove my knowledge of English as my university did it for CAS and I sat IGCSEs and A Levels so it was a given. What do I state here as I am unsure? I have an UG and an MSc degree from a UK university so proving knowledge of English isn’t a problem. But if I select the option that I have proved it for previous visas will I still later (when I submit passport scans etc.) have the option to scan and submit my degree certificates?
7. ‘Other reasons for wanting to stay in the UK’. I don’t have any children but I have written a short paragraph stating I’ve been in the UK for most my life etc. In upload section it asks for a document to be uploaded to support other reasons to stay in the UK. What document do I upload here?
8. “Since you started living in the UK have you spent time outside the UK”. I am guessing this is every time I have been out of the country since the date of my 10 year period I.e 2010 and not since 2006. Also, when I lost the dates I have travelled to visit my parents during holiday is it better to state my reason as ‘holiday to visit parents’ or just ‘holiday’?
9. Is there a sample of a consent letter to upload? Does it need to be written, printed, signed then scanned and uploaded?
And finally;
10. When I get to the stage of uploading supporting documents; do I have to scan every page of my passports held for the past 10 years? And is this sections quite restricted? I.e. is there only a certain number of documents I can upload?

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond. It is much appreciated :)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR- Long Residence: Application queries

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:42 pm

user5 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding completing the application for ILR based on 10 year long residence. I’m sorry for the number of questions! I just want to ensure I don’t overlook anything.
It would be great if I can have advice and guidance on the following.

1. Is the correct form to complete the SET LR form?
2. The application asks “how long have you lived in the UK”. I have lived in the UK since 2006 but was out of the country for a period of 7 months in 2010. Therefore my application is based on time period spend in UK since October 2010. For the purpose of this question do I state time spend in the UK since 2006? I.e 13 years and 11 months?
3. “Date you first entered the UK”. I’m guessing this will be the date in October 2010 that I wish my 10 year period to start from?
4. “What type of contact do you have with family in country of birth etc.” after listing family names do I have to state that I have contact with them via phone? My main contact is whatsapping etc.
5. “Explain why you have no friends in country of birth etc”. This section has a limit of 500 characters. However, my country of birth and country of nationality are different. I have also spent more than 5 years in yet another country. It’s quite hard to explain in 500 characters... any ideas on how to get around this? Do I really condense info or is it possible to attach a longer answer?
6. ‘Have you had to prove your English skills’ ‘provide details’. I have had a few student visas and assume proof of knowledge of English was required for the application. However, I cannot recall which one was the first I proved it for. From my recollection I never had the prove my knowledge of English as my university did it for CAS and I sat IGCSEs and A Levels so it was a given. What do I state here as I am unsure? I have an UG and an MSc degree from a UK university so proving knowledge of English isn’t a problem. But if I select the option that I have proved it for previous visas will I still later (when I submit passport scans etc.) have the option to scan and submit my degree certificates?
7. ‘Other reasons for wanting to stay in the UK’. I don’t have any children but I have written a short paragraph stating I’ve been in the UK for most my life etc. In upload section it asks for a document to be uploaded to support other reasons to stay in the UK. What document do I upload here?
8. “Since you started living in the UK have you spent time outside the UK”. I am guessing this is every time I have been out of the country since the date of my 10 year period I.e 2010 and not since 2006. Also, when I lost the dates I have travelled to visit my parents during holiday is it better to state my reason as ‘holiday to visit parents’ or just ‘holiday’?
9. Is there a sample of a consent letter to upload? Does it need to be written, printed, signed then scanned and uploaded?
And finally;
10. When I get to the stage of uploading supporting documents; do I have to scan every page of my passports held for the past 10 years? And is this sections quite restricted? I.e. is there only a certain number of documents I can upload?

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond. It is much appreciated :)
1. SET(LR) is correct
2. 13 years and 11 months will do
3. Correct
4. Not important, enter whatever
5. Not important, enter whatever
6. Provide an MSc degree
7. NO need to answer that. Leave empty
8. All absences in the last 10 years, enter as accurately as you know
9. The consent form can be downloaded when you finish the form
10. Yes. Scan and upload every page that has a stamp. That would be on UKVCAS system.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks so much Zimba! :D

For the English Language skills. If I select “yes” for the question asking whether I have had to prove it before for a visa/leave to remain, will I still have the option to attach my MSc degree at the document upload stage?

For time spent outside the UK- some of my trips have been multi-country trips -i.e left UK for Netherlands then travelled to France and returned to the UK from France- on my form I have put down the first country I visited. Is this ok?

Also, in some other questions regarding ILR on this message board I have heard a ‘cover letter’ being mentioned? May I know what this entails please? And does/should everyone include one with their application on it is only needed in specific circumstances?

Thank you once again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 pm

For the English Language skills. If I select “yes” for the question asking whether I have had to prove it before for a visa/leave to remain, will I still have the option to attach my MSc degree at the document upload stage?

Yes.
For time spent outside the UK- some of my trips have been multi-country trips -i.e left UK for Netherlands then travelled to France and returned to the UK from France- on my form I have put down the first country I visited. Is this ok?

Fine.
Also, in some other questions regarding ILR on this message board I have heard a ‘cover letter’ being mentioned? May I know what this entails please? And does/should everyone include one with their application on it is only needed in specific circumstances?
A cover letter is not required. The form contains all the information UKVI require.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks so much for all the help! It’s really appreciated :D

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Oh sorry forgot, just to confirm;

In ‘since you have lived in the UK have you spent any time spent outside the UK’

Should I list dates spent outside the UK from 2006 (the period since I started living here) or since 2010 (from when I am calculating my qualifying period).

At the moment I have listed all dates since 2010.
If I list the dates since 2006 I both exceed the 540 days and have spent over 6 months out of the UK in instance.

Thanks!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:42 pm

1. SET(LR) is correct
2. 13 years and 11 months will do
3. Correct
4. Not important, enter whatever
5. Not important, enter whatever
6. Provide an MSc degree
7. NO need to answer that. Leave empty
8. All absences in the last 10 years, enter as accurately as you know
9. The consent form can be downloaded when you finish the form
10. Yes. Scan and upload every page that has a stamp. That would be on UKVCAS system.

:?: :?:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Whoops.
Thank you!

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:53 am

Hi,

Sorry, I have a couple of more questions;

1. The consent form that I will be able to download... Will I submit this with the rest of my documents after I have submitted the application or with the application? (Trying to work out when I need printer access)

2. When making the payment: my card often declines on large payments, then my bank confirms the charges over text and requests for the payment to be made again. Will this be ok? For the application will the payment being declined in the first instance cause additional issues?

3. I will state my absences for the past 10 years on the form. When uploading passport scans; do I scan all the visas held (+stamps) from 2006 (year since living in the UK) or 2010 (date of application). (Note: that passport spans 2006-2011. I have a visa in there which covers part of my 10 years. However, there are no relevant entry or exit stamps in that passport for the 10 years).

4. From others posts I understand that all my documents will need to be uploaded into the ‘optional’ category. Should I upload passport scans in the ‘proof of application’ section or ‘other’?

Thank you so much as always. All the answers provided here have been very helpful

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am

1) Consent form is uploaded along with all other documents after payment and submission at a later stage.
2) For security banks do that. My own credit card was declined. Do not press back on the payment page. If the card declines, sort it with your bank and pay right away again. It worked for me.
3) Passport(s) and stamps covering qualifying period only.
4) Passport is always asked to be uploaded in the “proof of application.”
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks so much CULLINAN :D

In regards to the process just to clarify:

1st Step: submit application and pay- an email requesting documents to be uploaded or scanned in person will be received
2nd Step: upload all documents (inc. consent form) on sopra steria ukvcas website
3rd step: will receive an email requesting biometrics, possibly might have the option to use IDV app. If I require a fast decision it may be advisable to provide biometrics in person (I’ve seen a bit of a debate about this on the thread).
4th Step: provide biometrics

That’s basically it from my part. I will then be contacted by UKVI regarding outcome or request for any additional info.

Incidentally, what section do I upload the consent form under?

Thank you so much to all the moderators. The application process can seem so overwhelming and having support here is genuinely very comforting.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

Correct. Just adding on, make sure you register an account on UKVCAS after you pay and submit (even if you upload documents on a later stage). It will help you get in the queue for biometrics.

Also, you will have an OPTION to submit documents to UKVI via the UKVCAS even before biometrics. That is the best approach. You may save some processing time. Note, you will still be able to add more documents at a later stage (via UKVCAS appointment OR IDV app) if needed.

Consent form can go in “other” category.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Thank you! And thanks for the tips provided. Will definitely follow them :D

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:06 pm

In true fashion I have another, possibly odd, question!

I’m currently on a Tier 4 visa for a PhD. I’ve submitted my thesis and am waiting for a viva date. Although my visa expiry date is Jan 2021, my end course date in 15th Sep. After the viva I will have corrections (but don’t know what type yet). Without ILR I believe I would extend my Tier 4 visa for time to do the corrections.

My question is: do I need to inform my university that I am submitting an application for ILR? I will of course abide by tier 4 regulations until decision on app.

Thanks! :D

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Have just submit my application and wanted to clarify;
CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am
Correct. Just adding on, make sure you register an account on UKVCAS after you pay and submit (even if you upload documents on a later stage). It will help you get in the queue for biometrics.
By ‘register’ is it meant simply logging into the UKVCAS website? I clicked on the link after the payment page and was given a log in option. I used the same details as my ILR application and then was requested the unique application ID as there are ‘multiple applications associated with this account’ (i’m guessing these are my previous ones for tier 4 etc.) after this I’m into the system but cannot book an appointment (as expected).

Is only logging in sufficient to be put into the queue for biometrics? Or is there another way to ‘register’.

Thank you! And sorry about any confusion

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 pm

You need to create an account on UKVCAS after you pay and submit via the “book an appointment” on the UKVI account. If you did thats fine.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks CULLINAN. It did not give me an option to register just to log in. I suspect I may have registered last year for a visa application.

If I can log into UKVCAS I am guessing I am in effect registered?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 pm

user5 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 pm
Thanks CULLINAN. It did not give me an option to register just to log in. I suspect I may have registered last year for a visa application.

If I can log into UKVCAS I am guessing I am in effect registered?
Yes

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks!

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi,

I submitted and paid for my application on the 11th of September. I uploaded the consent form on ukvcas on the 12th and therefore also dated it as being signed on the 12th. My documents have already been submitted and I have a biometrics appointment next week.

On someone else's query I read that ‘all documents submitted should be dated before the application’. Will it be an issue that my consent form is dated a day after my application? If so what can I do?

Should I take a copy of the consent form (and date it 11th Sep) to submit at ukvcas or will it seem odd as to why I’ve got the consent form with two different dates?

Thanks again for the advice