ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion abt post-dated EC & peiod available therafter

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sher

Confusion abt post-dated EC & peiod available therafter

Post by Sher » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Some posts on EC state :
[1.] Says VAYU (EC in CANBERRA) - Just spoke to the EC lady at the UK high commission in Canberra. She informed me that I can delay my entry date into the UK up to 3 months after the date I apply for the EC.

I specifically asked the hypothetical question, does this mean an applicant can get HSMP approval, wait till the last week of the letters validity, and then apply to enter 3 months after that date. EC officer responded that was possible.

All in all though, she told me that I have to enter the UK within 6 months of the date of my letter being approved. So thats the catch if you want to call it that.
[2.]Says NATIONONE (EC in BANGALORE) - You are expected to land in the UK within 90 days of the Visa's date of issue. This applies for your dependants too. So my plan - of doing the EC for my dependants now and then expecting them to join me 6 months later - did not work.
[3.]Says RAJP (EC in NY) - I applied for EC at the NewYork embassy. I used the fast track online system,filled the form, printed it and posted it along with my passport and the required supporting documents on June 17th-04.I received an email today stating that the visa has been granted and my passport is in the mail and i will be receiving it tomorrow. The whole process thru the post took approx. 2weeks. I requested the starting date to be 20-SEP-04. I'll update with further details after i receive my passport.
Thanks,
Rajp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received my passport thru FedEx this morning. The passport was stamped with a start date of 19-09-2004(I think this is because the embassy started processing my application on June19th and the max time allowed is 3 months from the date the embassy starts processing the application). So with the given advantages i used the 3months period to apply for the EC(HSMP letter was dated as of March 25th),another three months for the start date(19th sep) .I finally succeeded in getting another 3 months to finalize my things here in USA before i land in UK. The other point to be mentioned here is the EC on my passport is valid for ONE year only. Maybe I wasn't lucky to get the TWO year validity.
[1.] First and foremost, has anyone received the '3 month' deferred stamping in India ?
[2.] Along with the stating of the validity as 1 year, does the EC stamping also restrict entry to the UK upto 3 months from the date of stamping ? To my mind, visas are simply and unconditionally valid for a period. How true is this '3 month' entry rule ?

[3.] Isn't there some official word on this ? Can someone point a link ?

I am utterly confused :?
Last edited by Sher on Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:16 am

Sher,
As per my experience, in delhi they do not give you a post dated stamping just cause u asked for it. I did and got totally ignored. I think you have to give specific reason for it and also attach some proof to substantiate your reason.

For the 3 month thing maybe u should write an email to the workpermits and get a clear understanding from there.
Mini

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm

I'm trying to find out from the Los Angeles consulate if they will do the post-dating. I'll let you know what I find out.\

All in all, though, since you have only a year to establish yourself once you get entry clearance stamped, and there are limits on how much time you can spend outside the UK (don't know the exact number but I've seen it on this forum somewhere), it's really best to get entry clearnace within the time stated on the approval letter and get to the UK as quickly as possible after that. My letter is dated Feb 7, and I plan on getting entry clearnace in April and being in Scotland by mid-May.
Last edited by lynn132 on Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sher

Post by Sher » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi Lynn,

That was super prompt !

But pray tell me if yr EC/Visa has a 3 month entry constraint mentioned on it. In the other post you called it the ticking of the "1 year clock" ..... As per the quotes attached herewith, it seems a case of a "3 month clock" ......
nJOY !

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:40 pm

Let's see:
-you have to apply for entry clearance within three months of the letter
-you have to enter the UK within 3 months of the entry clearance
-The one-year visa starts the day you get stamped for entry clearance, so if you dawdle around for a couple of months after getting clearance, you're only hurting your chances of getting established.

Does anyone know offhand what the limit is on the number of days you can be outside the country during your first year?

Sher

Post by Sher » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:17 pm

Lynn,

If my memory serves me right, one is allowed 6 months in 4 years and (max) 3 months at one go.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, take a dekko at what I found ..... HURRAH !

Q: How long will my visa be valid for?
A: The period for which your visa is valid is always shown on the entry clearance placed in your passport/travel document. A standard visit visa is usually valid for six months, but we also issue visit visas that are valid for 1,2,5 or 10 years. All visit visas can be used for an unlimited number of entries to the UK. You may stay a maximum of 6 months on each visit, or to the expiry date of the visa, whichever is shorter. If you are coming for another reason, the validity of the visa and how long you may stay is dependant on the reason.

The entry clearance will show the date from which it is valid. This is usually the date that it is issued. However, if you do not plan to travel immediately, you can ask for the start date to be deferred by up to three months. You must tell the entry clearance officer this when you make your application.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Can someone retrieve his/ her passport and go over it with a fine comb ...... and tell us as to what does the EC and accompanying HSMP visa (if any) say besides (presumably) "No recourse to public funds"
One yet needs to answer :
[2.] Along with the stating of the validity as 1 year, does the EC stamping also restrict entry to the UK upto 3 months from the date of stamping ? To my mind, visas are simply and unconditionally valid for a period. How true is this '3 month' entry rule ?
Which among the codes available at this link has/have been stamped on yr EC/ Visa ? - http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 7023012243

We, the 'comers' at the forum will be delighted and grateful.
nJOY !

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:15 pm

1. EC must be applied during the validity of the HSMP approval letter.

2. You can request the EC to be post dated when you do 1 - the ECO may or may not adhere to said request (although operating within the remits of the acts and regulations they have 'extensive' discretionary powers).

3. You can enter the UK at any time within the validity of the HSMP visa - even on the last date..but I dare say your chances of succesful extension are in relation to your date of entry which by default is the time to be economically active.

4. Likewise the EC/visa will show its 'class' i.e HSMP and any conditions attached - 'No Recourse to Public Funds' as well as any other the ECO or IO (by way of endorsment at a PEO) decides to attach.

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:02 am

Here you go again :)
I think we already discussed these issues in past and in much details.

Humm!! You missed my posts :?
I got 3 months deferred EC stamping from DHC Chennai (Applied in Bangalore). A simple explaination did the magic ;)

And once you get the EC stamping you are free to enter any time as per your wish, provided your VISA Is valid by that date. There are no restrictions whatsoever when you should enter and when you shouldn't.
Correct me if i'm wrong!!!

Don't messup this issue again plz.

Sher

Post by Sher » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Ajay, not just me, there is a "me2" !

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 5754#15754

:lol:
nJOY !

RS
Newly Registered

Post by RS » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:13 am

i still had to clear some doubts abt post dated EC.
If i go for post dated EC- means i have max 6 months to enter UK frm the date of HSMP approval.

Does this mean that the 12 months clock with start clicking from the date i enter UK (provided my post dated EC is exactly the date i wish to enter)

Now the rule is you should not be out of UK for more than 3 months in the initial 12 months of HSMP and total of 6 months for 4 years.
If i do posted dated EC by 3 months , i hope these 3 months would not be counted as out of UK.

may be confusion is sillly, but i have to plan my current job exit and UK entry accordinly.

Can u guys pls clarify.

Rgds
RS

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Guys pliz do read all the posts on the forum pertaining to this issue.
anyway here goes,
1 You get letter with HSMP approval dated say 1 Feb 2005, you have 3 months (90 days i believe) to apply for EC.
2. You can apply for EC at the British High commission in your home country on 30 April 2005, at which time you can can request to get you EC dated on the latest possible date, which is a maximum of 3 months (90 days), so in theory you can get EC dated 29 July 2005 to 28 July 2006, remember issueing of post dated EC is at the discretion of the ECO, read Kayalami's post on this,
after that you can enter the UK at ANY date that you wish as long is it is before the expiry of the EC visa. remembering of course the condition that you will have to satisfy for your extension

Sher

Post by Sher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:02 pm

Righto, except that I feel the EC officer should ordinarily comply with a 'deferred plan of travel' by awarding a post dated EC. (Read the red colored official extract above on this matter)
Practically, in missions where there is high visa issuance, this may be given a miss.
nJOY !