ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel abroad for 2-3 months after submitting Naturalisation Application online?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iajus
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Can I travel abroad for 2-3 months after submitting Naturalisation Application online?

Post by iajus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Dear all

I'm new to the board but have spent a lot of time reading the posts and I think this board / moderators / members are amazing! Thank you for the time/care you take.

I'm applying for Naturalisation after 5 years on Tier 2 (2013-2018), and after getting ILR (granted June 2018). I'm eligible according to https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... w-to-apply

My questions are regarding timelines - I looked at other people's timelines (thanks!) but didn't see a clear answer so am starting a new topic (apologies if I've missed it - please redirect me if so):
  1. If I fill out the online forms, upload all the documents, and pay the fees, then can I leave the UK to travel for 2 to 3 months? (mum is ill).
  2. From what I've understood, once the above steps are done, I may get an invitation to reuse biometrics (I realise it is not guaranteed). If I get an invitation, can I use the UKVCAS IDV APP remotely (i.e. not from the UK)?
  3. If I can't reuse biometrics/use the app, then I know I will have to go to a service point - but can I postpone that for 2-3 months? What is the longest I can postpone that? 3 months? 4 months? I couldn't find this info anywhere.
  4. Assuming I only have to use the IDV app, an approval could take a few days to a few months. Once I get the approval, do I have 6 months to attend a ceremony? Have I understood that right?
Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I travel abroad for 2-3 months after submitting Naturalisation Application online?

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:32 pm

If I fill out the online forms, upload all the documents, and pay the fees, then can I leave the UK to travel for 2 to 3 months? (mum is ill).
You ideally should only travel after you have enrolled biometrics. Your application is not complete and totally submitted until biometrics are enrolled.
From what I've understood, once the above steps are done, I may get an invitation to reuse biometrics (I realise it is not guaranteed). If I get an invitation, can I use the UKVCAS IDV APP remotely (i.e. not from the UK)?
You have to use the app within the UK as far as I am aware.
If I can't reuse biometrics/use the app, then I know I will have to go to a service point - but can I postpone that for 2-3 months? What is the longest I can postpone that? 3 months? 4 months? I couldn't find this info anywhere.
UKVI has progressed through a lot of the backlog. You should not delay your biometrics as your application could be returned as invalid. You usually only have about 2 months at the most.
Assuming I only have to use the IDV app, an approval could take a few days to a few months. Once I get the approval, do I have 6 months to attend a ceremony? Have I understood that right?
The current concession is 6 months. Once the backlogs have cleared, it will likely revert back to 90 days. Citizenship approval does NOT take 'a few days'. You are not making an immigration application. Citizenship takes up to 6 months, often longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

iajus
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Can I travel abroad for 2-3 months after submitting Naturalisation Application online?

Post by iajus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:39 am

Many thanks! Those are all super clear responses :-)