ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's Dad is sick, she's in the middle of a citizen application, can she visit him and come back to the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

James1859
United Kingdom

Wife's Dad is sick, she's in the middle of a citizen application, can she visit him and come back to the UK?

Post by James1859 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:35 am

Hello all

My wife's Dad is sick. She hasn't seen her family in 3 years. She will be devastated if her Dad dies and she doesn't see him one last time.

She has a Syrian passport (expired) and she has applied for her British Citizenship.

Although her family is Syrian, they live in the KRG (North Iraq). Is there a way she can visit her Dad and come back to the UK after?

She has her ILR and we have a daughter (5 years old) who goes to school.

What are our options?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Wife's Dad is sick, she's in the middle of a citizen application, can she visit him and come back to the UK?

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 am

She is free to travel while she has a citizenship application pending.

However she needs a valid passport to travel, which you state she doesn't have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Wife's Dad is sick, she's in the middle of a citizen application, can she visit him and come back to the UK?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am

She could apply for a UK travel document but I guess it would take some time:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-office-travel-document
Both a valid travel document/passport and ILR are needed, otherwise the airline will refuse boarding, certainly for the return trip.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am
Both a valid travel document/passport and ILR are needed, otherwise the airline will refuse boarding, certainly for the return trip.
It is complicated by the fact that she will also likely need an Iraqi visa, but it is unclear whether the Iraqi government would accept a Certificate of Travel issued by the UK government and issue a visa on it. According to Wikipedia, some Middle Eastern countries, such as Qatar and the UAE, do not recognise Certificates of Travel or other Home Office travel documents issued to non-British citizens.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Was she a refugee?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:55 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Was she a refugee?
No, 5 years spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Then no worries in that regard.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:41 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am
Note:
You can apply for a document to travel outside the UK if you’re not British and cannot use or get a passport from your country.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:56 pm

But does the Iraqi embassy/government recognise a UK "Certificate of Travel" issued to a non-UK citizen?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm