ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Staying abroad for over 1 month after applying for Citizenship.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ellie123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Staying abroad for over 1 month after applying for Citizenship.

Post by Ellie123 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been wondering lately and since there is no actual proper information online I wanted to find out here and get your opinions on this matter.

I applied for Citizenship in July,2020 and I am an non EU (Stamp 4 holder). I got my passport back and letter of confirmation in August. Now I believe my reckonable residency so far is good and I haven’t done more than 6 weeks abroad in the last 5 years.. However, if I were to go abroad anywhere for an internship/voluneteer/short term job or anything for more than 1 month would that affect my current citizenship application?

And also with a stamp 4, how long is it okay to actually be outside of Ireland for?

Stanina
Ireland

Re: Staying abroad for over 1 month after applying for Citizenship.

Post by Stanina » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:06 pm

There is requirement to notify ISD for more than 6 weeks spent outside Ireland after submitted application:
"If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why."
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... processing

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:26 pm

It’s a hard and fast rule. 6 weeks means 6 weeks. If you are out for a month, no need to tell them. If you are out for more than 1.5 months, you need to tell them.

Ellie123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ellie123 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 pm

So even after you submit application you still shouldn’t do more than 6 weeks in a year?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 pm

In your application, you have declared that you will continue treating Ireland as your principle place of residence. So yes you are still required to inform INIS and provide a reason if you need to be out of the country for more than 6 weeks. Of course they will take personal situation into consideration (business travels, medical reasons etc).

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:55 am

Ellie123 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 pm
So even after you submit application you still shouldn’t do more than 6 weeks in a year?
Yes, it is.
I think it was not the case a year ago, when I submitted application. There was no such requirement but now there is one.

Ellie123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ellie123 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:43 am

littlerr wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 pm
In your application, you have declared that you will continue treating Ireland as your principle place of residence. So yes you are still required to inform INIS and provide a reason if you need to be out of the country for more than 6 weeks. Of course they will take personal situation into consideration (business travels, medical reasons etc).
Definitely I will treat Ireland as my principle place of residence. I was just wondering though because we must have the choice to try a work experience somewhere else, try an internship abroad even if it is 2-3 months and it shouldn’t penalise us. Is like living in your birth country and being able to go abroad to try some thing new, a different experience for your own wellbeing and your life career. Of course I am not saying go and come back after a year, but after fulfilling the requirements they need and living here for so many years the choice must be there freely without so much restrictions (6 weeks) as this is home to us too whether they grant citizenship or not.