ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CHILD BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alijafri
Mood:
United Kingdom

CHILD BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

Post by alijafri » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Dear Experts/Moderators

Need your expert opinion on a matter relating to Passport for my Daughter.

I currently have ILR and have applied for my naturalisation already.
Meanwhile I would like to apply British passport for my newborn daughter. I have certain questions.

1. Shall I wait to receive my naturalisation and then apply for my daughters passport ?
2. Also, I tried carrying out application for her passport through passport.service.gov.uk - is that the correct place to apply for passport ?
3. The above page takes me to a page where its asking for grand parents details and even grand parents marriage date - I find it a bit strange as I cant recall doing that for my first child when I applied for her passport (she had MN1 done as I did not hold ILR when she was born). Is that really needed or I am doing something wrong ?
4. At the end of above application, the system asks to upload grand parents marriage certificate - is that really needed or I am doing something wrong ?
Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: CHILD BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:23 am

You can apply for her passport as she is British. Nothing to do with your status.

Are you filling the online form?

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/fil ... 1475581620

The form is generic. Grand parent’s details are not required/relevant for your child’s case. But just fill in the details as there is no other way round for the online form. I did the same for my daughter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:31 am

I did input both parental and maternal grandparents details for my daughter (British via MN1) just to bypass the questions.

However, the checklist generated was only the following:

You must provide the following documents:
1) Completed declaration form
2) Two recent identical photographs
3) Your certificate of registration or naturalisation
4) Any other uncancelled non-British passports relating to you
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:33 am

Okay wait:

Is this for your SECOND child? Is the child born after you had ILR? I got confused with MN1 reference for your first child and noticed when i read again. Still grandparent’s details are irrelevant.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:45 am

I am assuming you are applying British Passport for your SECOND child who is born in UK AFTER you had ILR. The child is British by birth and yes you can apply for her British Passport. You applying for naturalisation is irrelevant. However note, do NOT return your ILR BRP to HO even after your naturalisation. Your ILR BRP will be child’s proof to British Citizenship. So keep it safe.

All the child need is to apply for BP:

UK Birth Certificate
Your ILR BRP
Any other passport(s) (if any)

Grand parent’s details are irrelevant but you have to input in the online form. Just write a cover letter. Thats what I did for my second child also who was born British.

PS I missed the “newborn” bit previously.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:53 am

Moderators: Please leave my last post as stated above but delete the previous posts as its not relevant in OP’s case. Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:01 am

I used the following letter for my daughter born British. It may be helpful for you too:
Date:

To,

Her Majesty’s Passport Office

RE: First Child British Passport Application
Child Applicant: (Name of child), (DOB)
Application Reference:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I, (name of mother) am the mother of the above named child applicant. I have Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK i.e. settled status since (date).
Please refer to:
British Nationality Act 1981
1981 c. 61 Part 1 Acquisition after Commencement Section 1
Acquisition by birth or adoption
(1) A person born in the United Kingdom after commencement shall be a British citizen if at the time of the birth his father or mother is—
(a) A British citizen; or
(b) Settled in the United Kingdom

According to the above provision in law, my child is British by birth; at the time of my child’s birth, I (mother) had settled status in the United Kingdom.

Please find enclosed the following original documents:
• Original Indefinite Leave to Remain Biometric Resident Permit Card - (###) (mother’s settled status in UK)
• Original Child’s Full UK Birth Certificate

I believe, the above documents are enough to prove my child’s claim to British Nationality.

Please feel free to contact me, if any additional documents are required.

Thank you,
Kind Regards,

[Name of Mother]
(Mother of the child)
Address:
Email:
Mobile:

alijafri
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by alijafri » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:02 pm

HI Cullinan

Thank you for your quick response. It was quite helplful.

Yes I understand. Actually what confused me was that the online form would ask me my childs grand parents details as I only have ILR at the moment and she was born while I was on ILR.
Passport online application form prompted "Based on the information you provided, we need your grandparents’ details".

I just wanted to make sure if I am doing the process right and this is needed for everyone who applies for passport (where child was born while Parent had ILR)

Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Just add the cover letter as suggested. You will be okay. Ignore the grand parent’s evidence in checklist and make sure you do NOT return your ILR BRP after naturalisation.

alijafri
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by alijafri » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 pm

Thank you Cullinan. I will definitely follow the advice for BRP.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:17 pm

alijafri wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 pm
Thank you Cullinan. I will definitely follow the advice for BRP.
I have shared a template in my other topic which i sent and retained my wife’s BRP in a similar situation. You may want to use that also if you like.

british-citizenship/uk-born-child-after ... ish%20born