ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa application process

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CaptainCha0s
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Which Visa

Post by CaptainCha0s » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 pm

The situation:

Fiance lives in USA.
I live in UK.

We want to get married and she will need to work.
She will come here for us to marry in the UK.

Which visa should she apply for?

We were initially thinking of her coming here on a visitor visa and then going and jumping thru all the hoops to get married.

But it seems that she wont be able to convert to a visa that permits her to work while being in the country on the original visitor visa.

So the questions:
Can she in fact come into the country on the visitor visa, get married and convert to a visa that allows work?
Will she have to leave the country to convert?
Can she convert (in or out of the country) while the visitor visa is sill in effect. I.e. say she leaves the uk on month 2 of the 6 month visitor visa. can she convert with 3 months left on the visitor visa?

Any other options?
We had planned to marry in the USA where the hoops are much easier to navigate but I was unable to go there due to Covid.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Which Visa

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm

CaptainCha0s wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 pm
The situation:

Fiance lives in USA.
I live in UK.

We want to get married and she will need to work.
She will come here for us to marry in the UK.

Which visa should she apply for?

We were initially thinking of her coming here on a visitor visa and then going and jumping thru all the hoops to get married. Not possible

But it seems that she wont be able to convert to a visa that permits her to work while being in the country on the original visitor visa. Will not be possible

So the questions:
Can she in fact come into the country on the visitor visa, get married and convert to a visa that allows work? No
Will she have to leave the country to convert?
Can she convert (in or out of the country) while the visitor visa is sill in effect. I.e. say she leaves the uk on month 2 of the 6 month visitor visa. can she convert with 3 months left on the visitor visa?

Any other options?
We had planned to marry in the USA where the hoops are much easier to navigate but I was unable to go there due to Covid.
She will need a fiancee visa which is for 6 months, she comes into UK and you both must get married within that period. However she can not work while on fiancee visa.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

She could also come over on a Marriage Visitor Visa, but she can only stay 6 months in total, and she would also have to leave before applying for a spouse visa, when she is back in the US.

She also cannot work on the MVV.

It can take months to get the fiance visa for the UK, but by then you might be able to travel to the US and get married there.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:05 pm

THO wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm
She could also come over on a Marriage Visitor Visa, but she can only stay 6 months in total, and she would also have to leave before applying for a spouse visa, when she is back in the US.

It can take months to get the fiance visa for the UK, but by then you might be able to travel to the US and get married there.
Correct THO

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 pm

THO wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

And neither of the above visas; fiance or marriage visitor visa; allows her free access to the NHS; as well as also not allowing her to work. 50% added to the NHS bill if no insurance.
Both those visas are 6 months
visa for 6 months or less from outside the UK

You will need to pay for any NHS care you get at the point you use it - unless it’s a service that’s free.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... -needs-pay

CaptainCha0s
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Visa application process

Post by CaptainCha0s » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am

Can anyone tell me if its allowed or possible to apply for a Fiance Visa whilst visiting the UK on a holiday visa.

If it makes any difference. Applicant is US citizen.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visa application process

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 am

CaptainCha0s wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am
Can anyone tell me if its allowed or possible to apply for a Fiance Visa whilst visiting the UK on a holiday visa.

If it makes any difference. Applicant is US citizen.

Thanks.
No. It is an application that must be made from outside the UK, regardless of what nationality the person is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CaptainCha0s
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Visa application process

Post by CaptainCha0s » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 am

thank you