ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Over which period do absence limits actually apply?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

foobar1987
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Over which period do absence limits actually apply?

Post by foobar1987 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Dear all, first of I'd like to thank you for the help you have given me throughout my journey to British citizenship.

Now I may be just incredibly confused, but I don't understand over which period do absence limits actually apply.

I filed my forms in February 2020, and back then I was comfortably within the absence limits (such as the applicant not exceeding 90 days of absence from the UK in the last 12 months, and so on). In June, I received a letter from the Home Office informing me that my application had been accepted. Back then, I was still comfortably within the absence limits.

Then, things happened: citizenship ceremonies were suspended in my County, and my mother's health abruptly deteriorated, which made me fly to my country of origin to offer assistance and wait for her inescapable demise.

So, as of today, I am still away from the UK without a citizenship ceremony appointment, and very close to exceeding the 90 day absence limit in the last 12 months, assuming such limit still applies in some capacity.

Can you clear this up for me? Should I worry about my prolonged period of absence?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Over which period do absence limits actually apply?

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm

Absences AFTER your application date or the approval letter are not relevant - so not an issue.
Ceremonies are well behind and the Home Office have extended the booking period to 6 months - you should however check with your UK local council what the position is, whether they have received your certificate which would then normally trigger an invitation, as I understand.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

foobar1987
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Re: Over which period do absence limits actually apply?

Post by foobar1987 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Thank you. :wink:

I’ll probably exceed the 6 month deadline eventually, but for reasons not related to my bereavement travel: I have just received communication from my county that due to the imminent nation lockdown all ceremonies are suspended... again. To be honest, I think the situation there is a hot mess of a shambles inside a dumpster fire on a train wreck going down a cliff — and given that they haven’t managed to arrange a ceremony of any kind for months, it’d be unfair to penalise what I imagine to be hundreds of applicants. They’ll probably come up with something. I heard there’s a thing called the Interwebs that may be of help in these challenging times.