ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application based on refugee status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zezeson
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Citizenship application based on refugee status

Post by zezeson » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:29 am

Hello everyone, mine is a question. I have refugee ILR and my original home country's passport is valid. I have applied for Conventional Travel Document as I understand I can't use my original passport, I came across a response on this thread that said that the Home Office rejects applications for a travel document if one has their original passport in their possession. Why is it so please if anyone can help? Ever since I got my first five years of Limited Leave before getting ILR, I have never traveled or used my passport to travel. My solicitor tells me that Travel Documents are issued in the absence of a passport and that since I hold a valid passport I'd be able to travel without a travel document to whatever country apart from my home country. I'm literally just confused, please help.

zezeson
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Re: Citizenship application based on refugee status

Post by zezeson » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi thanks for your reply, I was never asked to hand my passport to the government at all.

refugee345
United Kingdom

Post by refugee345 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 pm

zezeson wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Hi thanks for your reply, I was never asked to hand my passport to the government at all.
you will be asked to hand your passport when applying for the travel document.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:07 am

zezeson wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:29 am
Hello everyone, mine is a question. I have refugee ILR and my original home country's passport is valid. I have applied for Conventional Travel Document as I understand I can't use my original passport, I came across a response on this thread that said that the Home Office rejects applications for a travel document if one has their original passport in their possession. Why is it so please if anyone can help? Ever since I got my first five years of Limited Leave before getting ILR, I have never traveled or used my passport to travel. My solicitor tells me that Travel Documents are issued in the absence of a passport and that since I hold a valid passport I'd be able to travel without a travel document to whatever country apart from my home country. I'm literally just confused, please help.
Hello
Being a refugee you must not use your passport for travel to any country or the home country. HO will not issue you travel documents without handing over your passport to them.A refugee can't have both travel documents & national passport. In very rare cases HO does make blunders & doesn't ask some refugees to hand over their passports when granting refugee status.This is strange & uncommon.But it doesn't mean keeping national passport allows a refugee to travel on it .This will get refugee status revoked.In rare cases HO deliberately doesn't ask some refugees to hand over passports to see if those refugees try travel to the home countries or elsewhere so they can have an excuse to revoke or suspend refugee status.There are many lawyers in UK who have no full knowledge of immigration rules due their incompetency & regular twists in rules making complex situation for people.It is always right to follow what your solicitor says as a second opinion is a good idea to be on safe side .

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:59 pm

You can submit your home country’s passport when you apply for HOTD. I have seen many cases where the Home Country passport was returned even when HOTD was issued. Having said that, you can not travel outside UK on your home country’s passport.

Btw, you do not need any HOTD to apply for citizenship.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

zezeson
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by zezeson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Thank you all for your responses and insight, I will post my passport to the Home Office as they've formally asked for it. I'm just wondering though if Brexit will affect this application for a Travel Document and my right to be here in the UK as a refugee. Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:09 pm

zezeson wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Thank you all for your responses and insight, I will post my passport to the Home Office as they've formally asked for it. I'm just wondering though if Brexit will affect this application for a Travel Document and my right to be here in the UK as a refugee. Thanks.
Brexit will not affect you.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

zezeson
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by zezeson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you very much for your help.