ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 renewal for just 1 year?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lizalahive
Newly Registered

Stamp 4 renewal for just 1 year?

Post by lizalahive » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi.

My wife has been in Ireland for a year, originally got a one year stamp 4 married to myself ( irish citizen). We asked in cork city how many years she would get upon renewing and they said 5, based on our marriage., and having been here a year.

We moved address to outside Cork City just before expiration ( due to circumstances )and were told to deal with a different immigration officer near new address. He said that since my wife was just renewing for the first time, we could only get a one year gnib card again.

Who is right? My wife thinks the rural immigration officer messed things up. Not too bothered about going to renew again next year, but i don't want to be messed around too.

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi.

I am a Japanese citizen and got married to my Irish hasband 2months ago.
I thought I would get 5year-stamp coz a friend of mine (Japanese) got married to an Irish over a year ago was given 5years.
But I got only 1year-stamp... I was told that now they give us for 1year, 1year and 3years, then 5years. It looks like they changed it about a year ago....
So I suppose your wife will get it renewed for 3years next year.

I went to Dublin GNIB.

lizalahive
Newly Registered

Post by lizalahive » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks for that. Why would they be stricter on spouses of Irish nationals though. It makes more work for them, dealing with spouses every year!

Work permits are annually now as well i think. So basically after the 1 year, 1 year and 3 years....Apply for 5 year residency while putting in a citizenship request. Hopefully by then, the government would have a steady 6 mths-1 year waiting period for citizenship approval and not 3-5 years.