ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Holiday visa /covid /Thai girlfriend

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joeysola
Newly Registered
Ireland

Holiday visa /covid /Thai girlfriend

Post by Joeysola » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:45 pm

My girlfriend came over to Ireland here in March On holiday visa from Thailand and due to covid extensions she is still here and current extension due to run out on January 18th

My plan was to go back over earlier this year to get married in Thailand and apply for marriage visa

My dilemma now is that she is 2 months pregnant, If she goes back to Thailand next January when she would hopefully be 4 months pregnant it looks very unlikely with covid I would get out there until middle of 2021 to get married

Has anybody any suggestions of how we could stay in Ireland past next January 18th to have baby assuming there will be no more covid visa extensions

Thairish
Newly Registered

Re: Holiday visa /covid /Thai girlfriend

Post by Thairish » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:27 am

Problem with getting married in Thailand is that she then needs to locally apply for a D Spouse of Irish National Visa from the Irish embassy which is then sent to Dublin and takes about 6 months for a decision so she's stuck in Thailand whilst waiting.

You could get married here and then apply for a D Visa as a spuse of an Irish national, can take 12 months for a decision but think she's ok to stay whilst decision is being made.

Alternatively once the child is born (assuming your an Irish citizen) then the child will be an Irish Citizen and she could apply for a D Visa as a parent of an Irish Citizen, again takes time.

Joeysola
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Joeysola » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi

Thanks for reply

Yes I have ruled out going out to Thailand any time soon as it looks very unlikely Europeans will get in there any time soon with covid restrictions

Yes I am Irish , the problem with her having the child here is her visa is up on jan 20th and assuming there is no more extensions she will have to go back before then on her own

I was reading about applying for visa extension under special circumstances, maby this could be an option ?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:47 pm

If you want to get married in Ireland you will have to give Registrar at least three months notice, and by the time that comes up your girlfriend will become an overstayer.

In addition to that a "join spouse" visa can only be applied for from outside of Ireland (double check that though). Temporary visitors (tourists for example) are not permitted to change their status while in the State.

Thairish
Newly Registered

Post by Thairish » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:03 pm

Joeysola wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:44 pm
Hi

Thanks for reply

Yes I have ruled out going out to Thailand any time soon as it looks very unlikely Europeans will get in there any time soon with covid restrictions

Yes I am Irish , the problem with her having the child here is her visa is up on jan 20th and assuming there is no more extensions she will have to go back before then on her own

I was reading about applying for visa extension under special circumstances, maby this could be an option ?
Yeah that's a pickle. Not advocating overstaying but realistically i don't think a pregnant mother to an Irish Citizen's child would get deported. Once child is born she can then apply for permission to remain based on parent of Irih child : http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/form-RES ... m-RES3.pdf once successful and it would take upwards on 12 month she would get a Stamp 4 which provides a future route to Citizenship.

You would i believe have to pay for all maternity services privately as she wouldn't have any entitlements with the public system here

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Thairish wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:03 pm
Not advocating overstaying but realistically i don't think a pregnant mother to an Irish Citizen's child would get deported.
Women, who are pregnant from Irish citizens don't have entitlement to remain in the State purely on the basis of pregnancy either. Can't be certain here. Unless there's a clear interpretation.

Joeysola
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Joeysola » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Ok thanks guys for reply’s

Yes the marriage route looks impossible also

Rather than overstaying her visa I think the best option is for her to go back to Thailand In January (assuming there is no more covid Visa extensions from irish goverment)and have the child and me go over whenever I’m allowed for us to get married in Thailand and then for the 2 of them apply for visas to come live in Ireland

It’s all a bit messy now but to be fair if it was that easy for women to remain in Ireland by having a child I imagine many would be doing it

Joeysola
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Joeysola » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:48 am

Hi all

I ended up getting a 3 month extension to her visa under special circumstances , I wrote a letter accompanied by a doctors report to dep of visa extensions
3 months Is the maximum a c visa can be extended , if our current circumstance don’t change in next 3 months I will apply for another extension