ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-entering the UK after a couple of months, some questions

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Marijana
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macedonia

Re-entering the UK after a couple of months, some questions

Post by Marijana » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:02 am

Hi
I have searched to find a similar topic but I did not so I am asking here for help.
So I started leaving in the UK in 02/2019 and my husband in 2017, he is an EU and I am not. We came back to our country, in April this year and because of the covid we decided to stay here a couple of months, we were working from home till August and then we got fired so now we are unemployed. He has a pre-settlement status and I don't, I am just with BRC, we are planning to come back now on 17 December to stay again. So I know he will not have a problem to enter, just he will need to re-apply for the status so he can be qualified for settlement after 5 years, and I plan to apply for the pre-settlement but I am afraid that they will not let me enter the country because I have stayed over 8 months outside the UK. I paid tax till September so technically I was resident till then. Does anybody have an experience like this? Will I be refused to enter because I only have BRC and overstated the 6months period?
There is not one post on the internet about this, I have tried to find the answer a couple of months now.

Thank you.

NatCam
Georgia

Re: Re-entering the UK after a couple of months, some questions

Post by NatCam » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 am

Why not apply for a pre-settlement family permit? You could use your BRC, link your application to that of your husband's.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 am

Marijana wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:02 am
he will need to re-apply for the status so he can be qualified for settlement after 5 years,
He does not really have to re apply for Pre-Settled Status, at least not now. The status is not lost by absences of less than two years.

He might need to extend his Pre-Settled status nearer the time the first 5 years are up, but only if his national insurance contributions show a gap of more than 6 months, which might not be the case? This will show up when he applies again in 4 years time, and he does not need to do anything differently than if he was applying for Settled Status then and there: He applies, and the system will check his NINO history. If there is a gap, he'll be offered Pre-Settled Status; if there isn't, he'll be offered Settled Status. Simples. In any case, nothing to worry about for now.
and I plan to apply for the pre-settlement but I am afraid that they will not let me enter the country because I have stayed over 8 months outside the UK. I paid tax till September so technically I was resident till then. Does anybody have an experience like this? Will I be refused to enter because I only have BRC and overstated the 6months period?
I am not familiar with any rule preventing re-entry of non-EU family members members after a long absence (perhaps someone else can clarify), but worst-case scenario, assuming this absence has cancelled your EEA BRC (I don't think so, but assuming the worst); you are coming back accompanying your husband, who is still exercising treaty rights of free movement, and given the transition period has not ended, I believe they cannot refuse you entry, as his wife.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Marijana
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macedonia

Post by Marijana » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

NatCam wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 am
Why not apply for a pre-settlement family permit? You could use your BRC, link your application to that of your husband's.
I will apply for pre-settlement status once I come back to the UK, I thought it was not possible from outside and now is too late to apply for it because we are going in two-three weeks so I am doing it from there. Thank you.
@kamoe yes there is no gup of 6 months just of 3 till now, but maybe it will be if we do not find a job immediately, nevertheless, we will think of that when ti comes time for it 😬 , for now, the main worry is mine entering, tho I do not think as well that I will be not allowed to enter as I am technically a resident just on a long holiday 🙄 Thank you

Marijana
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macedonia

Post by Marijana » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

NatCam wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 am
I will apply for pre-settlement status once I come back to the UK, I thought it was not possible from outside and now is too late to apply for it because we are going in two-three weeks so I am doing it from there. Thank you.
@kamoe yes there is no gup of 6 months just of 3 till now, but maybe it will be if we do not find a job immediately, nevertheless, we will think of that when ti comes time for it 😬 , for now, the main worry is mine entering, tho I do not think as well that I will be not allowed to enter as I am technically a resident just on a long holiday 🙄 Thank you

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:03 pm

the main worry is mine entering, tho I do not think as well that I will be not allowed to enter as I am technically a resident just on a long holiday 🙄 Thank you
The point is not wether you are a resident or not. The point is that you are the family member of a EU citizen.
Even if you never lived in the UK at all in your whole life, if you are married to a EU citizen who wished to enter the UK with you, they cannot refuse you entry, if this entry is attempted this year.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.