ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name after marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rarbg
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Change of name after marriage

Post by rarbg » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:03 pm

My wife's previous name was ABC - after marriage she has now taken my surname D and her previous surname C is now her middle name, hence ACD. We have already obtained a new passport from her embassy with this legal name ACD. The embassy does this by default (former surname becomes new middle name).

On the document checklist to get a replacement BRP, it asks for a deed poll or marriage certificate showing the new name. The marriage certificate shows my surname, so that explains the change in her surname, but the problem is her middle name has changed also, and we don't have a deed poll for this. Would UKVI just accept the new passport and a cover letter explaining that in her country, the middle name also changes with marriage?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Change of name after marriage

Post by seagul » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Not sure how does it work for you but for most, most often the bride's family surname replaces altogether with the groom's first name.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rarbg
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rarbg » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:37 pm

In her country, the woman's pre-marital surname becomes her new middle name (she loses her original middle name), and she takes the new surname from the husband. Example: She was Mary Jane Sanchez and I'm David John Williams, her new passport is in the name Mary Sanchez Williams.

UKVI guidance says "All applications to change names must be supported by documentary evidence which resemble the acquired name and show the linkage to the previous name, such as a marriage certificate or a deed poll".

Our marriage certificate would explain the change of her surname to mine, but what about evidence for the change of her middle name? A cover letter with her new passport should hopefully suffice as we don't have a deed poll saying she wished to change her middle name.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Well the only available guidance over it is at below which probably is same from which you already have plucked out the pertinent quote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-of-names
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

bathanza
United Kingdom

Post by bathanza » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Marriage certificate is more than enough and her valid passport. Nothing more is required.

I know as I did the same thing. ;)

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.