ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

i need advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Shanshan17
Newly Registered

i need advice

Post by Shanshan17 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:12 pm

hi, my brother in law has been in the uk almost 20 years. he has 4 children with his ex partner ages 23, 12, 7 and 2 years old, they were all born in the uk to a british mother. he came to the uk when his first child was around 3 years old on a visiting visa which he overstayed. he enrolled in college back in 2003 and made an application but that wasnt successful. can i get advice on what application he would be eligible to fill in and what documents would he need to provide. he lives in the home with ex partner and all 4 children, however the ex has no interest in supporting him with an application. can he do an application based only using his 4 children even though 1 is an adult? any advice would be appreciated.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: i need advice

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello, please read this:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/what-ar ... residence/
The 20 year rule on long residence is contained at paragraph 276ADE(1)(iii) of the Immigration Rules. Under the 20 year rule, a person does not have to have lived in the UK lawfully, but simply “continuously”.

The definition of “continuous residence” is almost the same as for the 10 year lawful residence route. However, time spent in prison will not break continuous residence. Instead time in prison will simply not be counted towards the period of residence. Time before and after imprisonment can be aggregated to make up the full amount of time.
If he finished 20 years, he can apply under the 20 year rule on long residence. This long residence doesn't have to be legal but just continuous. He will get a 2.5-year residence which he needs to renew 4 times to reach 10 years of lawful residence then he can apply for ILR (permanent residence). So the total between entry and ILR would be 30 years.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:42 am

I would like to add something:

As long he has the passport(s) with stamps of entry and he can prove he entered UK on a date that was 20 years ago and has been living in UK since then, he will be okay.

As @Zerubbabel said, it does not matter if the 20 years was legal or illegal stay.

Applicants sometimes fail to prove that they have been in UK continuously for 20 years (especially people who do not even have any stamps or passport(s)) and many cases could end up in court on appeals.

Two things are very important if the case ends up in court:

1) Witness statements from people who have known you for 20 years and can actually go to court in your defence (if needed).

2) Proof of address for the last 20 years.

As long applicants can prove the above (even if refused first time) and can prove courts the above, they are successful.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:56 am

Shanshan17 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:12 pm
can he do an application based only using his 4 children even though 1 is an adult? any advice would be appreciated.
He could have regularised his status under family life ages ago before embarking on this gruelling journey of 20 years. Apart of claiming the leave under 20 years of route, he still can claim the similar entitlement with the same ILR clock (2.5 × 4 =10 yrs) under family life. For this purpose, he would have to weigh up as which would be relatively easier to acquire. Check the guidance about family life:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... U7RWhiG0Hp
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.