ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with Non British Spouse

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

justaquery
Pakistan

Travelling with Non British Spouse

Post by justaquery » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi all

Ive just received my first British passport after naturalisation. My wife (non British non Eu national) and I will be travelling out of the country in two weeks time. When we return to the UK, can she go through immigration with me through UK/EU passport holders lane (she is on a dependent visa through me)? Or will she have to go through the Non UK/non EU nationals immigration lane?

If she does have to go through the Non UK/Non EU lane, am I allowed to enter through there with her or will we need to split up?

Many Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Travelling with Non British Spouse

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 pm

I have a Pakistani passport and my wife and kids are British. I have always gone through UK citizens lane and never had a problem. As long you are a family unit, you can use any UK/non-UK lane. Does not matter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:51 pm

The lanes are (a) for the convenience of Border Force officials (so for instance, officials more aware of EEA regulations and the like could deal with those queries while others may deal with non-EEA citizens, etc) and (b) seem to vary from airport to airport (so, for instance, some airports allow ILR holders to join the queue for British citizens while others tell them to join the non-EEA citizens queue).

So your mileage may vary. There is no standard rule.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:01 pm

That’s very informative, thank you both.

arjay
United Kingdom

Post by arjay » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:00 pm

justaquery wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Hi all

Ive just received my first British passport after naturalisation. My wife (non British non Eu national) and I will be travelling out of the country in two weeks time. When we return to the UK, can she go through immigration with me through UK/EU passport holders lane (she is on a dependent visa through me)? Or will she have to go through the Non UK/non EU nationals immigration lane?

If she does have to go through the Non UK/Non EU lane, am I allowed to enter through there with her or will we need to split up?

Many Thanks
Whenever I, as a British passport holder, have arrived into Heathrow with my non-EEA spouse (spouse visa), they have been happy for me to bring her through the British passport holders channel with me, and told me I could do in future as long as we were travelling together. I think it saves them having to ask many questions.